Codec Issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by urbannewb, Nov 20, 2004.

1. urbannewb macrumors newbie

hey guys, im new to this forum so please forgive my newbishness. I am looking for these two codecs:

video needs the wm9vcm codec
    audio needs AAC filter

From what I hear, Quicktime already has the AAC codec--but I decided to include that as what i need because maybe there is something better then quicktime. I have searched quite abit for the video codec and all i get is a winblows executable format. Anyways, if anyone has had better luck then me, plz lemme know. thanks. ;D

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, there is Windows Media for the Mac, but I don't know if it's just a decoder or does encoding as well. I won't install it on my machine to find out, frankly. You might try mencoder, open source, your mileage may vary. The stuff I've seen for the Mac, when it come to MS Media, is focused on decoding, not encoding. I don't know what you're doing, but mpeg4 is where you need to go :) Especially mpeg4 part 10, aka mpeg4 AVC or H.264. This *will* be the video codec standard for the next generation, both (A)DTV and HDTV. From what I've seen, WMx is dead as far as an industry standard goes, thank goodness. Here, here for open standards and the death of monopolies!!! Sorry, it's Saturday night.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

WM9 is a proprietary Microsoft format. There may some non-Microsoft hacks for it, but there are none on the Mac. You may download Windows Media Player 9 for the Mac from Microsoft's website.

4. urbannewb thread starter macrumors newbie

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That appears to be an issue that is specific to your computer or that particular video. Windows Media Player 9 certainly plays both the video and sound for everything I have thrown at it.

6. urbannewb thread starter macrumors newbie

I doubt (highly) that it is my issue. It works fine on my pc. just not my mac or the mac we have at my work.