Codec packs for quicktime?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rasheem, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Rasheem macrumors regular

Alright so ive been downloading some movies and a few of them ask me to download codecs and will only play video no audio. so i installed the codecs apple reccomended and still wont work. I dont care that much if i can play these on my computer but when i burn them with toast will the dvd work? i dont want to go through the painfully long process if not. Also are there any good codec packs you guys reccomend for quicktime?

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

3. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

Didnt seem to work for this particular video. any other suggestions?

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If I'm reading your original post correctly you have audio issues not video ones. You probably need to install the AC3 component. This is also linked to from the Perian homepage, if not try an app like VLC and get the movie info and see what it is using to play the audio and try to find that component for QuickTime.

If you want Toast to convert them to DVD movies correctly you need to have them playing properly in QuickTime first, including the audio.

If you want a better app than Toast for making DVD movies from avis (etc) check out VisualHub, it does a much better and quicker job than Toast. It doesn't use QuickTime components either.

5. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Good advice, VLC even if it wont play the file will still show you exactly what codecs its using, that way you can try to track them down for quicktime.

6. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

so i downloaded and installled this. the free version. encoded fast and burned fast but my dvd only plays the first like minute fifteen seconds before pausing and wont go on. almost as if the dvd was over.