Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
I've recently migrated from the PC world to the Mac world. On the PC I used to use a codec called FFDSHOW and all the movies would run perfectly.

Now on the Mac what kind of codecs should I download to be able to watch all the movies? And please don't tell me to get VLC because I like to use QuickTime player and get the whole "integrated" look of the OS.

pcw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Alright, thanks for your input I guess I'll go with VLC for less hassle although I'd prefer to use QuickTime for the "integrated" look and feel :p

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
pcw said:
Alright, thanks for your input I guess I'll go with VLC for less hassle although I'd prefer to use QuickTime for the "integrated" look and feel :p
It's not a biggie to download the Codecs the main ones you need are DivX and Flip4Mac :cool:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Eraserhead said:
It's not a biggie to download the Codecs the main ones you need are DivX and Flip4Mac :cool:

And 3vix ;-)

Though I like VLC for the ability to play corrupted AVI/MOV

pcw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Eraserhead said:

Not a biggie but I need to have a playlist as well and QuickTime doesn't have that...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
VLC plays nearly everything, has the ability to cue up videos as a type of playlist and unlike Quicktime, gives you fullscreen playback for free.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Chundles said:
VLC plays nearly everything, has the ability to cue up videos as a type of playlist and unlike Quicktime, gives you fullscreen playback for free.
I know QT, wtf is Apple thinking, no fullscreen w/o purchasing, Microsoft's Windows Media Player can at least do fullscreen

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I just gave props to Windows. I feel so dirty lol jk.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
captainbeefheat said:
Is there not a free version (non trial) for divX codec?
The free DivX codec works perfectly fine. The paid version adds features. Don't think of the free version as a demo because its ability to play DivX-encoded .avi files does not expire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.