Codeweavers for gaming? Parallels?

Discussion in 'Games' started by LordUn, Nov 7, 2006.

1. LordUn macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    Hi guys,

just a quick question - have people had much success using Codeweavers, or another WINE translator, for gaming?
    I havent tried anything as yet, but looking at ways to fold my gaming into Mac OS without having to use Bootcamp and Vista currently.....

Also, does anyone know if parallels will have hardware acceleration in the near future?

Any input greatly appreciated
  2. Pegasus macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    I assume you meant Crossover. As far as the general consensus goes, this one is probably not worthwhile because even the few games that work so far are riddled with problems, and any game with copy protection is almost automatically out of the picture. You have to keep in mind though, that Crossover was never really meant for games, in the first place.

Parallels solution isn't good enough for gaming... yet. Yes, they said they were working on a way to access the hardware directly a few months ago, specifically regarding the 3D capability, i.e. graphics card. It would be great if they were able to pull it off. Re-booting into Windows has tired me out after a while. Anyways, it remains to be seen whether anything will come of it.

As of right now, Bootcamp is still your best bet for Windows gaming on your Mac.