coding environments in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ben Kei, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Ben Kei macrumors regular

We all know that it is pretty useful to have some experience with coding, I haven't really touched on coding for many years.. I only really coded in BASIC to use an atom microcomputer (similar to a stamp) as well as some basic variants on C-sound/C in Supercollider and similar music coding apps.

Just wondering what code testing environments people suggest.

I'd like a basic understanding of C and variants of C as well as JAVA.

Any reccomendations would be welcome! preferably free, although shareware prices will be considdered too. I don't need anything too heavy going, I'm just looking to get a foothold for now.

Thanks in advance!

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your Mac ships with Xtools, one of the best development environments ever. If you like BASIC, there are two really good ones for MacOSX. One is REALbasic, which also allows you to port Visual Basic apps to the Mac and Java. Your app may target MacOS, MacOS X, Windows, and Java. The other BASIC system is FutureBASIC from Staz software. It has been around for more than a decade. Unlike Xtools, the BASIC systems are not free.

4. Ben Kei thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent..!

It looks like I do mean Xcode.

And MisterMe.. I actually hated Basic! I used a variant of Basic called P-Basic (I think) to program one of these: http://www.basicmicro.com/Product.aspx?productID=18&CategoryID=

I needed to report the positions of 8 tilt switches, convert to a binary code then send VIA AM radio.. it took me 3 months to get it working despite help from some well seasoned ATOM users..

I think I'm scarred forever from this one..

Cheers for your help guys! :D

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

6. Ben Kei thread starter macrumors regular

aargh!

for some reason it says that Xcode 1.5 is available for download but when I log in the most recent version is 1.2

I've had to order a copy of Xcode 1.5 on CD for $20

I'm not bothered about the money, haha.. I had a spare day today and wanted to get started NOW!.. oh well, just going to have to wait.

I'm grabbing eclipse now to have a browse over..