Coffee or Tea?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by njmac, Jul 21, 2006.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

How do you take your coffee/tea and which do you prefer?

I like my coffee light and sweet with half and half and sugar so since I've started trying to live a healthier life style and lose weight, I've dropped coffee completely.

I'm trying to get use to green tea but its not easy. I am getting use to other herbal tea though, like apple cinnamon and mint tea but it is till not as good as my coffee.

Any recommendations for me? Doing a Google search for tea, I came across Yogi Tea. Anyone heard of them? I like that the tea's are organic. The spiced Indian tea looks good, maybe I can add a little soy milk or rice milk to it and it will be a little more satisfying than plain, unsweetend tea.

Is decaf tea better for you than regular tea?

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

3. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Why drink either? Most tea and coffees contain way too much caffeine which goes to town on your central nervous system and probably causes many small health problems you may encounter, like diarrhea, ringing ears, anxiety, insomnia, difficulty breathing and even hyperuricemia.

I don't mean you shouldn't drink it at all, just drink it in moderation. If you want to live a healthier lifestyle, stay away from caffeine, because it can affect your sleep schedule which will in turn affect your appetite and daily energy levels (do you get drowsy and feel like taking a nap around 4 pm? Normally, most people do, but if you drink too much caffeine you'll push right through this and then crash a few hours later, when you might need to work).

Substitute for water. Lots of water and organic juices (Tropicana is actually more organic than you think).

Good luck kicking your caffeine habit!

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Tea - either Twinning's Earl Grey, English Breakfast or Everyday tea. With milk and 2 sugars (my mug is about a pint).

Coffee -
    In work Douwe Egbert's Continental Dark instant:
    With Meds - Milk and 2 sugars
    Without Meds - Black and 2 sugars.

At home:
    Fresh Michu pichu (is that spelt right?) fair trade.

7. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Oops I completely missed the point of the topic. :D

Caramel Frapuccino for mee.

Or Tim Horton's. Mm.

8. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

Thanks for the advice! I do drink water but I don't want to drink too much fruit juice because of the calories. I am drinking seltzer and water but that is getting kind of boring.

Caramel Frappacino sounds great btw... don't tempt me :p

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You have a ban on Starbucks and you live in Seattle? :eek: That's unheard of. :p

10. commonpeople macrumors regular

11. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Yep. :( Tullys and Seattle's Best will have to do for now.

12. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

Ahhh, very good to know! :)

13. dcv macrumors G3

Coffee... black - Americano style, or perhaps an Espresso after a meal. Or best of all, an Espresso Martini :)

I drink tea occasionally. Don't like the taste of builders' tea so I drink Earl Grey or Rose petal infused tea. Either black or with skimmed milk.

14. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Hey no problem.

Do you simply drink tea because it tastes good? I grew up drinking Chinese tea, which is served plain. Just tea leaves and maybe some jasmine flowers in boiled water. The Chinese don't add milk or sugar. So I'm used to plain tea—bitter, but still satisfying and comforting plain tea.

If you drink tea for the caffeine, then you could try toughing it out and not adding anything to your cup for a while. :)

15. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

I can't get use to black coffee, it tastes like a cup of mud mixed with battery acid to me. :eek:

16. mpw Guest

Coffee, nine times out of ten, either cappacino or Americano. Already on my 2nd Americano this morning, didn't actually drink the first....just threw it all over the inside of my car (bloody sprung cup-holders:mad: )

17. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

I want to drink tea as a healthy alternative to sweet/cream coffee. I want to drink something beside water. I am trying different tea's to see what really tastes good to me so I'm looking out for some tea reccomendations.

I think I can do alright without caffeine and if decaf tea is just as healthy then I'm all for it. :)

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One, admittedly strong, latte (2-3 shots depending on who is making it) every morning. No sugar.

One or two cups of tea in a day - depending on who in the office is making it. I have it strong with just a smidgeon of milk and no sugar

Water or occasionally a soft drink the rest of the day (unless we head for the pub)

w_parietti22 - ban on Starbucks because their owners sold your teams to OK?

19. stylum macrumors member

7-10 daily glasses of iced black tea
    with a teaspoon of really raw brown sugar... and i was wondering why i go to sleep at 4:00am...

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Unless I'm outside when I'll drink anything, at home I drink Fortnum & Mason Jamaican Blue Mountain with a bit of cream if I'm having coffee. The perfect combination of bitterness, nuttiness and sweetness for me.

Tea which I drink far more often, Tetleys bags, PG Tips occasionally or Fortnum & Mason Organic Prince of Wales Blend Earl Grey. A lot of fancy teas taste like boiled socks to me but this is one of the rare ones I really like drinking.

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Milk or cream in Tea?! :eek: *barfs everywhere*

That is disgusting.

22. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Exactly!

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

That's how the majority of the UK population has their tea. You probably wouldn't want to come here then :p

Green tea with milk on the other hand would be pretty gross.

24. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I drink lots of tea!! Made properly in the tea pot. With a bit of milk, no sugar. Lovely!!

Sometimes I do drink coffee but not instant, normally if i'm at a coffee shop.

You HAVE to have tea after a meal its the law! or with chocolate or with a full english ,,, mmmmmm nice!

25. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It's great actually. You should try it.