coffee

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Macky-Mac, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so you like coffee?

I was cleaning up in the kitchen today because I'm going to move. How is it that I'm single and have, like six coffee making devices???

anyway, packing those things up made me wonder about the best coffee I ever had..............surprisingly, it was easy to remember.

It was a few years ago at a hotel in Rio de Janeiro. Breakfast was included with my room which is typical in Rio. I was staying at a place fronting onto Copacabana beach. The restaurant was on the 2nd floor and the view was over the top of the palm trees, out over Copacabana. It was sunny, it rained, Sugar Loaf......ruled the view.

Breakfast was a buffet. Since it was the off season, nobody was in a rush. The waiters would come around with a couple of thermos pitchers, one with hot milk, and one with COFFEE. They wore white tuxedos, even at breakfast, but all I wanted was for them to bring the coffee.

yeah, the best in the world....ever!

ever have a good cup yourself?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

At risk of incurring the wrath of everyone, I can't handle real coffee most of the time unless it's fairly weak and/or milky. Gives me terrible stomach problems which might also have something to do with medications. So it's usually instant coffee for me... :eek:

However, I'm becoming bemused but interested by the popular attention now paid to plantations, bean varieties etc.; a level of obsession usually reserved for wine.

3. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

For me coffee only tastes good if there is more sugar than coffee in the cup.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my favorite cup of coffee came from a french restaurant, chanterelle, in new york city.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I love coffee!!!!

I used to have it strong, black and no milk/cream.
    But since taking meds I need sugar and milk:confused:

But I still have it strong.

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

It's funny. For the first 30 years of my life I couldn't touch the stuff. I was on daily pints of Lapsang Souchong. Then I just changed and since then it's black coffee only. The best, in my opinion, is Turkish coffee. Yum. Just look at this:

[​IMG]

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Mmmmmmm, Yum!!!
    Labanese coffee is awesome too!!

9. NJuul macrumors 6502

I love coffee. My day doesn't work without it.

I don't think I have a favourite cup of all times, but my best coffee-related memories are all linked to some nice hot (very hot) country and a strong cup of espresso.

btw, that turkish cup looks delightful!

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Mine is always best at home. The places around here can't make it like I do. I always make mine with bottled water; never city water. I like it a little on the weak side with sugar and Coffee-Mate. :)

12. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

Peet's coffee. I always pick up a pound whenever I'm in the bay area.

Their Kona (and most other Kona's) are fantastic. pricey like a motha' but amazing.

13. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Best coffee I've had was at a restaurant on the Oregon coast after a wonderful meal without the kids.

Never drank the stuff until college. Now it seems that I need at least a cup in the morning to get started, although the caffeine in one cup isn't nearly enough.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't drink it either. My energy now comes (probably dangerously) from Red Bull. I don't like bitter drinks.

15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've done some work for a coffee importer, and tried Kenyan, Norwegian, Blue Mountain, Kona, but my current fave right now is Tanzanian.

Incidentally, its suggested that you use a dark roast if you're adding milk or cream.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

For making it myself, definitely Harringtons' Hot Lava Java. Hits the spot every time.

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Two

Here at home: Murky's Coffee in SE Washington DC. Yum

On the Road: As far as chains go, I love a Cafe Nero Mocha

18. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'd make a wise crack about that, but I'm going to go ahead and refrain myself. :D

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, there's a first.

20. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Anything but Starbucks or Maxwell House. Tim Hortons for the most part.

21. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I'm really glad they opened up on the east coast, used to have to get through mail order.

22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Coffee can define my life on the right day.

Am currently obsessed with Omar, which presents as hopelessly corporate but is more micro-breweryesque.

I like to go to this small place in Avon, CT. that sells coffee and antiques. Very New England, very pushing some American Dream, but very good coffee.