Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I swear, sometimes it takes me a while to put 2 + 2 together, but...

A few weeks ago, Jon Stewart came on Crossfire and made a big deal about how reporters don't ask politicians like Bush tough questions anymore, how when he gives one of his standard misleading answers, they rarely follow up, they never call him on it. Stewart's pointed statements got a lot of publicity, remember?

Then, Bush holds his first press conference this year (!), and right off the bat the first thing he announces (in that aw-shucks way of his) is that there will be no follow-up questions anymore.

Coincidence? :rolleyes:

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And I believe the wording was something to the effect that because Bush has a 'mandate', he no longer has to answer follow-ups.

So because he actually won this time, tough questions are off limits? I wonder how Hannibaugh would spin this if it were a Democrat who said it.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

He never really had answered them, he kinda gave a non answer that people made fun of.

Now there is no opportunity to make fun of him. I wonder how long it is before he stops speaking all together.

Blah, I'm tired of getting upset everytime Bush does something, it's kind of a waste of energy to keep pointing out the obvious. This administration doesn't care, they manipulated the right parts of the population, appeased others and took the election. Now they are going to do what they want with it.

People are hardly bothering to defend him anymore. Something other than just pointing out what he is doing is needed, his constituancy just don't care what he does because he is forced to do it by the 'evil liberals' who must be stopped.

Fighting Bush isn't going to get Democrats anywhere, fighting perceptions are though.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

At this point I've given up. Part of me wants to help save this nation and another, more cynical part wants this nation to suffer so much that we'll never make the mistake of slipping down this hole again. Let 'em get bent so far over and screwed so hard they'll forget their names. All of 'em; the ones who voted for this and the ones who didn't bother to vote against it.

Either way, Canadian citizenship is going to be my personal safety valve. The US dollar is becoming a joke.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I'm beginning to feel the same way. Let these people learn things the hard way and once they have been royally screwed by their marvellous leader they will probably still blame someone else. The loyalty level is fanatical, even though the only press he allows are loyal to him he acts as though it were the "liberal media" at work.

Blue states should start working in their own interests and people who agree with blue states but live in red ones are more than welcome. The ensuing brain drain would be disasterous for those states of course, but hey, they don't need those pointy headed liberals anyway right?

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"At this point I've given up. Part of me wants to help save this nation and another, more cynical part wants this nation to suffer so much that we'll never make the mistake of slipping down this hole again. Let 'em get bent so far over and screwed so hard they'll forget their names. All of 'em; the ones who voted for this and the ones who didn't bother to vote against it."

Lessee. Wasn't that said when Lincoln got elected? Or was it FDR or JFK or Nixon or Clinton?

I ain't real sanguine about the short-term future, but I really doubt Kerry would have been able to make it all snugglier and safer or bring back whatever one sees as The Good Times.

:D, 'Rat

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

pretty soon he is just going to point at different countries, which will promptly be invaded.

:rolleyes:

scem0

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I just read the transcript, and I don't think he said anything about not answering follow-ups because of a mandate. He just said, "no follow-ups, Gregory."

Actually, it was the sort of press conference that makes you think that, despite a few disagreements with him on particular policy matters, he isn't a half bad leader. Unfortunately, these press conferences don't reflect his leadership style or decisions, so I guess that happy, rosy picture goes away. 'Tis a pity.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I believe it went a little somthing like this:
    "Now that I've got the will of the people at my back, I'm going to start enforcing the one-question rule. That was three questions."

and this:
    "Again, he violated the one-question rule right off the bat. Obviously, you didn't listen to the will of the people."

Sorry, I got 'mandate' and 'will of the people' mixed up. Not that there's much difference.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

OK, maybe I'm thinking about the wrong press conference...I was reading the Nov. 4 one. Is this a different one? Clearly, these quotes are disgusting.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, it was the November 4 press conference. I watched the video online because AFAIK, the news networks universally failed to broadcast those particular remarks. Some think Bush was joking, but I don't. He didn't even crack a smile as he said it, and the laughter in the press corp was scattered and nervous, if you ask me.

Text:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/11/20041104-5.html

Video:

http://mediamatters.org/static/video/bushpr-200411040006.mov

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Even if it was a joke, it was in very poor taste.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

OK, I went back and looked at the transcript. I skipped over the juicy bits, clearly. Anyway, I don't care whether he was joking or not. He is the President of the United States, not some half-wit, parlor room comedian. He should carry himself with the history and the dignity and the honor that his office represents. He should carry himself with the gravity of tens of millions of voters' support--He pays little tribute by parading that self-same support.

No. The description of the duties of the President does not include jokes, especially those of such poor taste. This is unbecoming.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Wrong guy for that job description, I'm afraid.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah. Can someone contact HR?