Coke or Pepsi? It's all in your head.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Wow, what a great use of an fMRI machine, to find out why people like Coke instead of Pepsi, and yet, still no cure for Cancer or AIDS (not like a fMRI machine helps but the money and time to use it does).

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah, do people actually drink that crap anymore?
    jeez!

Lee Tom

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I wonder if they could tell me why Coca-Cola makes it harder for me to sleep than Mountain Dew, since the latter has more caffeine added.

All-in-all though, trivial research. As Archie Bunker put it "Don't say that. There ain't nothing in my head."

5. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I get V8 cravings all the time, and since I've never been pregnant I suspect that it's got a lot more to do with my body stepping up and demanding vital nutrients. Pull the spinal cord to ring the hindbrain for service.... *ding*

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

lol :D
    ...maybe it's also the salt.

Goes well with vodka too!

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yea, coke and pepsi are nasty.

Loaded with sugar. (except for diet coke/pepsi, in which case are loaded with aspritame)

I prefer milk.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, if you find yourself stirring the V8 with a pickle while craving ice cream and, oh, french fries (together), then I'd start to worry....

9. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Perhaps those massive companies might disagree with you...

They'll do anything to make you pick something up and try it for the 1st time...

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

11. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Milk!!!! Wooooohooooooo! Milk RULES! :D i like milk :D:D

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've been brainwashed?

Must... drink.. Coca-Cola... Must.. drink... Coca-Cola...
    Pepsi.. tastes... like.. crap...

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's true. When I was stopped at an intersection a few days ago, there were a couple of people handing out cans of Coke C2 to passersby. If it has all the taste and half the other bits, they should just offer it as Coke.

I cannot say that I'll pay to try some new soda but if it's available in McDonald's or Burger King, I'll try a little.

I think most people will drink something as long as it's not an odd colour, save Gatorade and other sports drinks. Blueberry Pepsi anyone? ewwwwww

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm sure this money will allow him to retire early if it works :D

Given the trend here - showing that marketing and science can work hand in hand, makes you wonder if there will be a bit of growth in the R&D departments in all the major companies..... kind of scary, actually.

D

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Speaking of milk and Pepsi, when I was younger, I used to mix milk and Pepsi (or Dr. Pepper). It was pretty good. Had the same taste as a root-beer-float. Except, I guess it was a Pepsi-milk...float....er. I dont know. It was good.

I still drink at least two glasses of milk a day.

Has anyone ever notice that men drink a LOT more milk than women do? Wonder why that is.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

C2 defintely tastes similar.. but not the same. Still sickly sweet. But less so.. It's not bad.

You know, I think another thing that should be taken into account is one's proximity to bottling plants, and what one becomes used to drinking. On my last foray to the UK, Coke tasted just plain WEIRD. As in, NOT RIGHT. But in the town I live in, we have both a Coke and Pepsi bottling facility. So my softdrinks are always "fresh", so I might be spoiled.

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's a shame that when the results of studies like this are published, that reporters and readers dwell on superficial details and utterly fail to understand what was actually learned. The real finding is that another portion of the brain has been identified that filters the way we recognize taste/smell. Each little bit of information like this does end up advancing medicine; research like this is why artificial eyes and ears are now possible, it can be used to help assess the type of damage to stroke and accident patients, and more.

Small experiments like this are performed all the time, but they make for boring reporting. This one happened to include a small element of consumer/pop culture relevance, so it made it into the newspaper, that's all.

18. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Completely off-topic here, but -- is Professor Quartz a cool name or what?

19. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Oops, sorry iMeowbot, didn't mean to prove your point. ;)

20. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

True -- but you have to get your research noticed somehow.
    And yes, it's a hook but that's what the 'average' reader needs and some of the implications are interesting.

Most of the full findings will prob. turn up in the British Medical Journal or Scientific American or similar, aimed at the audience it's intended for.

Professor Quartz is a cool name...

21. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    coke uses corn syrup (im sure pepsi does as well), which really isn't the same as sugar. If you drank original coke (made with sugar) and the new "classic" coke, you'd taste the difference.

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

I eat Wendy's Biggie fries dipped in the Biggie Shake all the time.. it's sooo yummy!
    and im not pregnant either ;)

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I thought it was sugar from beets. :)

24. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

the can in front of me says "High Fructose Corn Syrup" :)

25. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I never understood why people are either coke or pepsi (or mt. dew/sprite, etc). I can taste a difference but don't really prefer one over the other. Whatever's handy is handy. I've been with people in restaurants that had total ****fits because "their" soda wasn't carried. How juvenile :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to forget what they taste like, tho, it's been 1.5 months since I quit caffeine, so the only soda i've had has been an occasional Sprite. And you know what? I feel great, less stressed out, and I'm not looking back.

...until the smell of freshly ground coffee hits me in the face...

paul