Colbert Roasts The Bush Administration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Fiveos22, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2003
    For those of you who do not peruse the MilkandCookies network:

Stephen Colbert of Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" appeared as a guest speaker at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner and gave speech in his character from his show. Over the course of about 20 minutes he roasted the current administration and the President...ten feet from the president. The speech is divided into three parts.

While he's doing his routine, the audience is eerily quiet, probably out of shock. I think this is damn good evidence that Stephen Colbert has balls of steel.
  2. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    Gotta luv Colbert...

I am having trouble with the links (my Windows computer at the office probably at fault here) but I saw a vid on with 2 president Bush side by side - the real one and a comic - and the comic was really making fun of the president as was the president himself. Is this different to what is linked? I guess I will try the links when I get home and have access from a real computer - ie my Mac.
  3. Transic macrumors member

Jan 8, 2004
    This one is quite different! The media stayed far, far away it. You'll find out why after watching!

Try these links:
    (Part 1)
    (Part 2)
  4. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Most people don't 'get' Colbert. I thought some of it a bit odd, but he's funny either way!
  5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    I thought that what Colbert said was what people there needed to hear.
    People need to learn to laugh at themselves more.
  6. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What a maroon!

Colbert fell on his face at this "roasting." Bush and the Bush impersonator were infinitely better, and actually received repeated laughter/applause.

COlbert hardly got any laughs, or even chucklels. He bungled a long "joke" so badly it was just painful to watch him try to pull it out. It reminded me of when some genius thought Chevy Chase could pull of his own talk show, the first episode of which had Chevy Chase's hands shaking so bad he looked like an epileptic having a seizure.

Colbert obviously cannot stand on his own without his 80 writers and producers backing up his incredibly witty reading of a teleprompter wich such comedic gold as when he responded to a snippet from Hannit & Colmes showing a full-scale nuclear weapon mockup with "Hannity and Colmes have the bomb."

Oh my, please get me a glass of water my throat is dry from NOT-laughing at alll.

At least Jon Stewart makes odd faces while reading of his teleprompter satire of the real world, so that he appears somewhat funny.
  7. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    maroon 1 |məˈroōn| adjective of a brownish-crimson color. noun 1 a brownish-crimson color. 2 chiefly Brit. a firework that makes a loud bang, used mainly as a signal or warning. [ORIGIN: early 19th cent.: so named because the firework makes the noise of a chestnut (see below) bursting in the fire.]

perhaps you were attempting to belittle Colbert by calling him a:

moron |ˈmôrˌän| noun informal a stupid person. DERIVATIVES moronic |məˈränik; mô-| adjective moronically |məˈränik(ə)lē; mô-| adverb ORIGIN early 20th cent.(as a medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8–12): from Greek mōron, neuter of mōros ‘foolish.’

8. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    or perhaps he was using the Bugs Bunny terminology, "what a maroon."
  9. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    The whole press conference was nothing but a staged "roast-a-thon."

The impersonator roasted him worse than Colbert did.
  10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    I watched both and I disagree... but not by much. The subject area that Colbert touched on was uncomfortable to ME, and I'm pretty much a lefty. Trust me on this, Colbert will be a FORCE down the line. He's freakin' FEARLESS. (And I agree with everything he said)
  11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
  12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Watched that on C-SPAN Saturday night. His material was just about as good as any other time, but the crowd just wasn't as receptive -- they're all a bunch of stiffs.

That being said, your comment about Colbert not being able to write without "80 writers" is rediculous. You try writing even 20 seconds of funny material, 4 nights a week by yourself. And make it relevant to current events.
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Did he hire Al Gore to write his jokes?

Someone should tell Colbert that at a "roast", someone other than the host is supposed to look stupid. :p
  14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    Does anyone remember the "little truths, big truths" speech in Wedding Crashers? I think that was Colbert's biggest issue with the crowd. He was telling big truths. The reason the correspondents weren't laughing is because Colbert was saying things they should've been saying for the past five years.

Screw 'em for being puppets. If Colbert's got the balls to get up there give it to 'em, then more power to him.
  15. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    OK I watched ot all. You are right. That was enbarrisingly hilarious. :D
  16. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Here's a link to the transcript as well:

lol..."Sir, pay no attention to the people who say the glass is half empty, because 32% means it's 2/3 empty. There's still some liquid in that glass is my point, but I wouldn't drink it. The last third is usually backwash."
  17. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Does anyone have a link to the Bush impersonator video?
  18. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Sorry, but I didn't see much humor in his comments.

A lot of stupid stuff sure. But funny, not really. I guess that is the sign of the times.

Reminds me of how TV comedy has changed over the years.
  19. blackstone macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I really have to agree with the people saying that Colbert has balls of steel to have delivered that speech 4 feet away from President Bush. For me, it constantly veered between being outrageously funny and deeply uncomfortable. I can't agree with the people who said he "bungled" this or that it was "stupid." More ballsy than funny, perhaps, but definitely not something to go "ho-hum at.

My favorite lines:
    • "By the way, Senator McCain, it's so wonderful to see you coming back into the Republican fold. I have a summer house in South Carolina; look me up when you go to speak at Bob Jones University. So glad you've seen the light, sir."
    • "The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will."
    • "Here's how it works: the president makes decisions. He's the decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Just put 'em through a spell check and go home. Get to know your family again. Make love to your wife. Write that novel you got kicking around in your head. You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know - fiction!"
  20. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
  21. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I didn't find much of what he said to be too funny. But considering he said that stuff ten feet from the president, he's got some balls.
  22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I think the fact that even this thread is divided about it proves he did what he set out to do.

I wouldn't call myself a conservative, but I don't identify with many liberals either. Either way Colbert is funny and the most of the media don't like him because he criticises them at every opportunity.

They get what they deserve for inviting him, anyway. :cool:
  23. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    some of the the audience were laughing through most of it.

i've always thought roasts tread a dangerous line between funny and mean. given the gravity of the state of our "leadership" and the "watchdogs", i think mr colbert was well within his rights to take both bush and the MSM to task.

it was funny as hell, but his audience was also the recipient of his barbs. no wonder the response wasn't more uproarious.

except the press conference video. that sucked.
  24. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    As Zim notes, the audience were the butt of most of the comments, and they knew it. I thought it was an exquisite performance.