Cold bad for my MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hwmbrogden, Mar 3, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I leave my MacBook on a desk right next to a window in my apartment. Since we are cutting down on the gas bill, we rarely turn on the heat and rely on blankets and etc. Is it a bad idea to leave my aluminum MacBook on the desk near the window? It gets quite cold and I don't want to do any harm to the machine if I don't have to. Advice?

2. macrumors 6502a

Your manual has the minimum operating and storage temperatures for your computer. They are also on Apple's support page.

3. macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Is this serious or a joke?

4. macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Don't worry about it so much. Just make sure no one opens that window and steals your comp while you're sleeping.

5. Guest

Benguitar

As long as you don't live in Alaska you should be fine. ;):p

6. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The recommended operating temperature is 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C). Realistically you can get it quite a few degrees cooler.

7. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

And the storage temperature is even lower, -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C). If the computer isn't running, you could even leave it outside. I wouldn't recommend it, but you could.

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Wrap it in a warm blanket and make it wear two pairs of socks. Give it plenty of chicken noodle soup and Vitamin C.

9. macrumors 6502

If it drops too much below the operating temperature...fire up a distributed computing program (such as Folding@HOME) and you'll have a personal space heater in no time. ;)

10. macrumors 6502

iSimx

it will be fine. I'm in the same situation trying to cut down on bills. If anything, it will run better in the cool ;)