Colin McRae Mac and O.C.M.G

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Oct 20, 2006.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

So, anyone else anticipating this Colin McRae game for Mac? I think I've already beaten the version theyre releasing for mac on Xbox. I'll probably give it a spin anyhow. I have mcrae under bootcamp, but I find that the majority of the time I couldnt be bothered to reboot into XP.

Any other cool mac games on the horizon? - hence the O.C.M.G in the title...

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Feral's also porting The Movies, Fable, Black & White 2, and Imperial Glory. I think all five of them (including Colin) were supposed to be out this year, but obviously there were some pretty significant delays...probably a lot to do with the Intel switch. MacSoft should have Age of Empires III (with Havok ripped out and replaced with Ageia's physics engine instead) done any day now.

--Eric

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You bet ya I am in for Colin McRae 2005!!!!

I am waiting a very long time for it to come. I used to have a gaming PC on which I mostly played racing games like Richard Burns, DTM Racer 2, NFS... and ofcourse Colin MacRae 2005.
    Now, this PC died on me, and I don't want to buy a new PC just for gaming (especially as the new Macs are capable of running Windows native, and thus my next Mac will also be Boot Camped for gaming), but I do miss these games.
    Feral is torturing me with their "coming soon".... That has been on their site for ages!!

The moment it comes out, I will jump on it. Finally a good racing game on a Mac!

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I thing the guy in this thread is anticipating it. I used to play the Playstation version and it was pretty good. Has Feral improved its driving games?

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I assume it is identical to the PC version of the game.

I must admit I preferred Richard Burns (the game), due to the IMHO even nicer grfx and realism than Colin McRae 2005.
    But Colin McRae 2005 has more tracks, and more cars and as it still is a superb rally-sim, it probably is better for the masses. Realism is good enough, and the grfx are great.
    It will require some heavy hardware though. A good force-feedback wheel will be recommended too. But... my Quad G5 with GeForce 7800 GT and MOMO FF-wheel is ready and waiting! :cool:

6. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Check out Redline in the mean time. It is a lot of fun and you can't beat $25 for a great multiplayer game.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Just played Redline, and ok... it is pretty fun. Cheers for the heads up.

But it is not in the same league as Colin McRae. Come on Feral.... ;)

8. aholden12592 macrumors regular

i was expecting to get CMR 2005 for mac last christmas and it still hasn't come out:confused: :confused:

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I can understand that the switch to Intel has delayed it somewhat...
    But, it seriously is almost a year overdue!

Again: come on, Feral!

10. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Well I have heard enough about this game but never played it. I can't wait to see what the hype is about. Hope it supports my Logitech Formula Force wheel. It works with Redline but Force Feedback is disabled.

Anyone have an ETA?

11. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Every indication on feral's website would indicate that the game should be released any day, but when it takes mac dev's years to port games, who knows... I for one hoped that the transition to intel would make games easier to port, but I think that at the moment, its univ. binaries that are keeping the process elongated - am I wrong in assuming this? The only other skepticism that I have, is that I have NEVER seen a mac racing game that looked good/ran at a good framerate - so I'm holding out for colin mcrae to turn that tendency upside down...

12. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

13. Pegasus macrumors newbie

Pegasus

You're assumption isn't wrong at all. Since they essentially have to code now for PPC and Intel it certainly does take some more time to port a game. It'll be interesting to see how much development time will be cut once games start becoming Intel-only.

14. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

I sent an e-mail to feral's support staff today regarding an ETA for Colin McRae. If they reply with any information I will post it here.

15. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Developing for two architectures is more time consuming than developing for one, also other technical issues with a game as graphically complex as Colin has effected the games release date.

The game is now running on both PPC and Intel machines and is scheduled to be released early next year.

I cannot give you any more information on shipping dates at the moment.

Edwin

Feral Interactive

16. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

So is this game out of the question for 2006?

17. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it seems that way. I emailed Feral and the eddeduck guy who posted a couple above is from the company. It looks like by the time feral comes out with McRae 2005, Ill be looking into getting Colin McRae DIRT for 360.... Considering I just got that X360 Wireless wheel, should be fun!!!

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Mmmm, smells official™. :D

19. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

It would be nice if Feral released a beta until the game is released if they truly have a working copy in house. Time is money...

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I haven't heard of game betas ever being made public before.....
    But maybe they could give us a demo.... just a couple of cars on just a couple of tracks. Ya know, to get us real excited.... and to see how well (or bad) your setup will perform. Give us plenty of time to save up for the required Mac Pro with X1900 XT :p

I wouldn't be suprised to see a beta running at the MacWorld Expo in SF. They have done that before... F1 CS 2000 IIRC way back in 2002 at the Apple Expo Paris.
    That was cool back then too.