Collecting and the Spirt of Old Machines...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by blakespot, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Administrator

blakespot

Saw this post on the usenet, comp.sys.apple2:

...almost brings a tear to the eye. I know the feeling, though it ususally comes from having found some old 5.25" disk I'd stored ol schoolwork on back in 1983, etc. And definitely nice to see an old mahine up and appreciated in the present day. I've got a few setup of my own, as you folks know.

blakespot

2. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

One of the responses was thus:

Painful...

blakespot

3. macrumors 68000

mc68k

The sad thing is that most of that stuff is probably still useful/functional, but was dropped for the next latest and greatest or for budget spending reasons.

I have seen that same scene has played out here at the university many times. The sad part is not knowing what is going to happen to it all. But I guess that is also a good thing...

4. macrumors 68000

5300cs

Sad...

I recently bought a Mac Classic II and was looking for older system software for it. 512mac.com (among other sites) used to be able to distribute older versions of Mac OS (and the tours, which are great) but Apple recently decided to revoke that option and now if you want to find OS 6 or something, you're pretty much screwed.

I can't help thinking Apple is helping to push those old computers to the dump. It really is a shame, but business is business I guess ... :(