Collector's problem #1 - yellow/browning of vintage Apple cases.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by chatin, Aug 10, 2005.

1. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

No wonder Apple switched to aluminum cases. In a hundred years, the computers will be as shinny metalic as the day they were made.

But what to do about a vintage Apple Lisa, or Mac 512K that is in perfect, clean condition but... Yellow-Brown yuk colored?

1) Why do some macs remain perfectly white - grey and others turn yellow brown?

2) The plastic seems rotten to the core. That is, there are no layers of yellow to remove.

Any plastics engineers lurking out there?

;) :)

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Owned by smokers?

That would definitely explain it.

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

This young lady seems to have had good luck in bleaching her machines. The link goes to an excellent online photo gallery of her collection.

4. chatin thread starter macrumors 6502

chatin

This is her "plesantly yellowed" mac plus.

She seems to take it in stride. Check out her plesantly yellowed mac plus.

[​IMG]

5. nsutt22 macrumors regular

nsutt22

Its custom...

I have about 12 PowerMac 5260 era macs, a couple G3 All-in-ones and about 5 of the grand old classics and the only deductive conclusion as to color change is.....

its custom :)

Apple engineered speacil plastic that customly changes with age. Just wait 10 more years I here the next color is a rich blue!

Old Mac's rule!

-NSutt-

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's because of the chemical structure of the plastic. sometimes it can vary even on the same model, i have some Apple IIgs's at home that are pristine, some that are piss yellow, they all sat in the same lab their whole lives. If you get a plastic conditioner, you can often restore much the original color, texture, and strength. but if it's too far gone, nothing will fix it.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Id take a pic if i still had it but I my old SNES console turned a nice poo poo pee pee yellow color. Funny thing was, the case was 3 pieces, two bottom/top halves and then a rectangular piece that went where the cartridge slid in. That piece stayed perfectly nice and grey, but the other two halfs went nasty.

Damn plastics. At least the N64 was black!

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Cleaning Classic plastic Macs with Window cleaner will make it yellow.

9. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

My Performa 6320 (RIP) - Went from beige to wee yellow. Combination of light damage and I started smoking half way through owning it.

My iMac G3 (gone to a good owner) - Went yellow and even brown in some parts. I'm a smoker and I think that's what caused it. It was pretty foul.

My PowerMac G5 - I have more faith in. Not very much plastic in it!

iMac G4 Flat Panel (at work) - Interestingly this is going yellow around the vents at the top of the dome. We can't figure out why because it's not in direct sun light and obviously I don't smoke near it.

iBooks - Tend to go yellow/brown around the wrist wrests - Ground in filth from sweaty wrists!

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Don't forget the damage caused by prolonged exposure to UV rays. While a lot of stuff fades in too much UV, some materials will undergo a color change... there are even some types of optical glass that will turn yellowish when exposed to too much sunlight.

You might want to look into investing in some UV-blocking window film if you have a room where you store all of these things.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Windows? So who needs a room with windows?

:D

12. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Mac Photography

I think the Danaquarium site has some of the very best old Mac photography i have ever seen, and the cleanest equipment ever! (I also asked how they get them so clean and bleach is the answer...and a lot of patience) Check out some of the close-ups of the backs and the ports, I don't think they where that clean when new!!

http://www.danaquarium.com/gallery/

13. chatin thread starter macrumors 6502

chatin

Mac Plus made in beige and platinum!

Old yellow eyes, pictured above... :rolleyes:

The Mac Plus was made in two colors, beige and platinum. So when you see the platinum replacement mice that are everywhere, your plus was probably never that color!

;)

14. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

That is EXACTLY what happened to mine! That always bugged me. I wonder wtf was up with that?

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Certainly not I (at least not a room with windows os). :)