Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codycartoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Hello Everyone,

I have a feeling that I am not the only high school senior on this board who is applying to college for the fall of 2006 so I thought I would post a thread to see where everyone is with that. A lot of decisions should be coming in this Saturday, so fingers crossed.

Unlike many prospective college students I have a pretty clear idea of what kind of career path I am interested in so this made narrowing down schools a bit easier. I will be pursuing a career in the film production world (specifically Music Videos) and possibly the publishing world (specifically Magazines) so I want to experience the strongest liberal liberal arts education I can find in order to back that up. Also I am pretty much only interested in schools that are in NYC so I will be able to intern and explore my professional life while still in school.

So far this is my list:

Colorado University - Boulder (accepted)
School of Visual Arts - NYC (accepted)
Chapman University - Dodge School of Film - Orange County California (Finalist, still waiting to hear back)
New York University - Tisch School of the Arts Filmmaking (Should hear back this Saturday)*
Columbia University - General Studies Part Time Program (Should hear before May 1st)*

*the only schools I am really really interested in (Chapman might be the only exception (still not sure if I want to live in California though))

I am really anxious about hearing back from NYU. My grades and SAT scores are kind of under their par: 3.4 unweighted GPA, 580, verbal, 560 Math (slow-test-taker). I am hoping that my reel and other experience will push it over the edge.

My dream would be to go to Columbia part time. I am really grateful to have some wonderful contacts, in the city and beyond, so it would be really incredible to pursue those while attending one of the most rigorous schools in the country. But it is, of course, incredibly difficult to get into Columbia. So we shall see...

If anyone is interested in seeing my work you can check out my personal website: http://www.CodyB.com. My work has screened at various film festivals around California and my website was listed in this really wonderful LA Weekly feature.

Anyone else who is applying to college post where you are applying and where you want to go and all that! Also, I would be interested to know where fellow macrumors peeps have gone to college.

woot, this is an exciting and nerve-racking time,

-cody

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The letters have started coming in. :)

Hamilton College: Accepted
Union College: Accepted + Merit Scholarship
UConn: Accepted
Washington & Jefferson College: Accepted + Merit Scholarship
Skidmore College: Rejected
University of St. Andrews: Rejected
Bates College: -still waiting-
Bowdoin College: -still waiting-
Amherst College: -still waiting-
Kenyon College: -still waiting-

We shall see, we shall see. :) My GPA is pure *****, but my SATs were quality, and I totally rock the house on interviews...so it balanced out.

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
I only applied to one school, Southern Illinois University, I've wanted to go ever since I can remember. I've been accepted, and I've recieved the Presidential Scholarship (full tuition and room/board), only 1 of 19 to do so.

Needless to say I'm quite a happy camper, thus my (future) school pride in my name. On a side note, it was because of getting the scholarship that my parents bought me my MacBook Pro. :)

Oh, and I'm going to major in Political Science and then go into Law.

rontheancient

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2005
USA
MIT-Rejected (big suprise)
CalTech-Rejected
Boston University-Not Released
Stanford-Not Released
USC-Not Released
UC Irvine-Rejected
UC Berkeley-Not Released
UC Merced-Accepted
UC Santa Cruz-Accepted
UC Santa Barbara-Rejected
UC Davis-Accepted
UC Riverside-Accepted/Honors Program
UC San Diego-Rejected
UC Los Angeles-Rejected
California State U Fullerton-Accepted
California State U Long Beach-Accepted
University of Washington Seattle-Accepted

Total 17 college in all. So far, im stuck between Davis, Riverside and UW. Comments?

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
crzy...when i applied for college back in 99, i only applied to UC's...since i'm in LA. I applied to all UC's except riverside, cuz they suck, and Berkely, cuz I wasn't feelin the atmosphere. I got into all except Santa Barbara (weird cuz it's a party school) and UCLA (too competitive)...so i went to UCSD...had a blast for 4.5 yrs..now i've been working back in LA for the past 1.5 yrs...ahhh memories of trying to get into college...

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
rontheancient said:
CalTech-Rejected
Stanford-Not Released
USC-Not Released
UC Irvine-Rejected
UC Berkeley-Not Released
UC Merced-Accepted
UC Santa Cruz-Accepted
UC Davis-Accepted
UC San Diego-Rejected
UC Los Angeles-Rejected

Total 17 college in all. So far, im stuck between Davis, Riverside and UW. Comments?

UW sounds good but you should really consider UCSC. If I hadn't gone to Berkeley, SC would have been my second choice although I didn't know it until I got to Berkeley. You don't get the impression of it in So Cal, but UCSC is a very good school if you're a bit of a hippie like me. What is your major by the way?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
itcheroni said:
A Bachelor's degree is a prerequisite for law school.

Oh OK, here we do it concurrently. If you get a good enough UAI you can go straight into Law or Medicine, anything really, right out of High School. Most of the LLB courses take 5.5 years and you come out with two degrees, the LLB and a BWhateverelse. Medicine is 7 odd years and you come out with normally a BSc or a BA and the MBBS.

Normally the required entry mark for most combined Law degrees is around 95 and for the Medicine degrees it's usually around 99.7 or thereabouts. The high marks required indicate the popularity of the course. We don't apply in person to Uni's here, we select courses online and put them in preference order. The places in those courses are filled from the highest marks down. The Unis don't get a say who gets into the course (except for the creative courses).

We do apply in person to colleges though (a college is a university hall of residence). There are a fair few students living in colleges at my Uni but the vast majority commute or live locally. The college-based population is probably around 1500 or so from the 15 or 16 thousand students.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
rontheancient said:
CalTech-Rejected
Stanford-Not Released
USC-Not Released
UC Irvine-Rejected
UC Berkeley-Not Released
UC Merced-Accepted
UC Santa Cruz-Accepted
UC Davis-Accepted
UC San Diego-Rejected
UC Los Angeles-Rejected

As a UW grad (1996), I say, go to Seattle. Great city, great school, has something for everyone.

Getting out of California (even if it is just for your college years) is a healthy thing. I know it is more expensive as an out of state person, but I think you'll find it to be worth it living somewhere new.

Oh... unless you get into Stanford. Then go there. (Don't go to BU... expensive, overrated)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Chundles said:
Why don't you do Law right away?

The vast majority of US universities don't offer law undergrad degrees.

You don't really need any specific major in your undergrad work to go on to law school, but Political Science tends to be the most popular major for people that are planning to go to law school from the start.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
iSaint said:
freakn' overachievers...

That is what I was thinking. I applied to 2 schools and sent my ACT scores to a third. And I am graduating from a school that isn't one of the above mentioned three. That is a lot of application writing.

Luckily, however, I am on the opposite end of this ride. I'm finished with college this May. I'll take my film degree and go do something completely unrelated to film.

So take this word of advice all you college newbies going into film: schmooze like you have never schmoozed before and apply for every internship you can possibly handle. Just going to film school and getting a degree isn't even remotely close to enough to get a job after school unless your career aspiriations are to be the 4th assistant to the 5th director.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
itcheroni said:
UW sounds good but you should really consider UCSC. If I hadn't gone to Berkeley, SC would have been my second choice although I didn't know it until I got to Berkeley.
Sigh. Where were you a few years back?!

A relative from Taiwan visited my family a few years back and was shocked-- after listening to my dad speak all these years, she thought that California only had two schools-- Cal and Stanfurd. ;)

I went to Cal right outta high school and was miserable (love the area, the food, the shopping-- but didn't connect with anybody and let's face it, Berkeley isn't famous for undergrad, it's a graduate school). I've been puttering around trying to figure things out and I think I'm going to transfer to UCSC (amazing Feminist Studies program and art program).
alywa said:
(Don't go to BU... expensive, overrated)
I agree and my cousin goes there! Boston College has a better reputation-- it's believed that if you have the cash you can get into BU, but that BC is harder to get accepted.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
rontheancient said:
CalTech-Rejected
Stanford-Not Released
USC-Not Released
UC Irvine-Rejected
UC Berkeley-Not Released
UC Merced-Accepted
UC Santa Cruz-Accepted
UC Davis-Accepted
UC San Diego-Rejected
UC Los Angeles-Rejected

Yeah don't go to UW! Ok maybe that is just my Washington State University (cross state rivals) bias :D.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
leftbanke7 said:
That is what I was thinking. I applied to 2 schools and sent my ACT scores to a third. And I am graduating from a school that isn't one of the above mentioned three. That is a lot of application writing.

Luckily, however, I am on the opposite end of this ride. I'm finished with college this May. I'll take my film degree and go do something completely unrelated to film.

So take this word of advice all you college newbies going into film: schmooze like you have never schmoozed before and apply for every internship you can possibly handle. Just going to film school and getting a degree isn't even remotely close to enough to get a job after school unless your career aspiriations are to be the 4th assistant to the 5th director.

I only applied to 1 school. I was not about to fill out applications and write essays in my spare time. But too all those who did, I am sure it will be benefical to you. I knew/know what I wanted to do with my life before I applied to college so I just applied to the one school that I knew would be the best for me.

XNine

macrumors 68040
codycartoon said:
So far this is my list:

Colorado University - Boulder (accepted)
School of Visual Arts - NYC (accepted)
Chapman University - Dodge School of Film - Orange County California (Finalist, still waiting to hear back)
New York University - Tisch School of the Arts Filmmaking (Should hear back this Saturday)*
Columbia University - General Studies Part Time Program (Should hear before May 1st)*

As much as I hate Boulder, CO, the Uni there is pretty damn good. I have a friend who just graduated from there. CU always has some kind of controversy around it, rapes, drugs, alcohol poisened students, etc. But, the classes and campus are excellent.

Not trying to sway you, just infrom you of what I know. Good luck on finding the right school, I hope all goes well for you.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Is it usual practice to apply for a multitude of colleges/universities? It'll be awhile before I get into one (gonna stay at community for awhile) but there's only a handful here in the states that have what I want to pursue a degree in, one's in SF and the other one's in Indiana and I certainly don't want to move there although their program is pretty good.
So my options are limited I guess, it looks like the more specific your interest the less choices you have...

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
rontheancient said:
CalTech-Rejected
Stanford-Not Released
USC-Not Released
UC Irvine-Rejected
UC Berkeley-Not Released
UC Merced-Accepted
UC Santa Cruz-Accepted
UC Davis-Accepted
UC San Diego-Rejected
UC Los Angeles-Rejected

lets say each app was 50 bucks.. you spent 850 bucks on college apps:eek:

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
For what it is worth

I haven't heard back from either of the grad schools I applied to(yeah, only 2, I wasn't crazy about going, but I decided what the hell) and it is almost April....

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
vniow said:
Is it usual practice to apply for a multitude of colleges/universities? It'll be awhile before I get into one (gonna stay at community for awhile) but there's only a handful here in the states that have what I want to pursue a degree in, one's in SF and the other one's in Indiana and I certainly don't want to move there although their program is pretty good.
So my options are limited I guess, it looks like the more specific your interest the less choices you have...

I don't know...some of these posters applied to tons of schools...seems a little excessive to me (but what do I know). I only applied to 4 schools when I went to college (Boston University, Providence College, Connecticut, & Southern CT State U.) Got into all four and had trouble deciding. I can only imagine getting into 10 or 15 schools and having to decide...

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I just sent my app to NYU to transfer for next year. I'm supposed to be hearing anywhere from two weeks to two months from now.

This is going to be a long two months.

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
In response to everyone inquiring as to why I'm majoring in Poly Sci, there are several reasons. One, as someone pointed out, you have to have a BA before you go to law school, that's a given. But yes, I could study Pre-Law, but politics is without a doubt my most prevalent interest. And the third reason is that at SIU's Law School, you can go for a dual degree, so in addition to getting my JD, I hope to get my MPA (Masters in Public Administration) and I've been told that a lot of the classes for Poly Sci will transfer for my MPA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.