College Bound - OH YEAH! - Are you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by slooksterPSV, Feb 17, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I just wanted to say I'm college bound. And there are a lot of things I can get now hehe. Apple, since I'm enrolled or was accepted at the College of Eastern Utah, I get discounts! OH YEAH BABY! Anyways, I'm so excited, I've entered a lot of scholarships, and still entering more. Who else here has made it to college?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm starting at Melbourne Uni in a week. I'm really excited. The discounts are cool- my family got an iMac which I got for student price :)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My last semester of Uni (for the 5th time....don't ask) starts next week. Problem is, in 6 months my Mac student discounts are gone. Just like that... boooo....

What's really embarrassing is that my sister has just moved into the same college I lived in and was a tutor at during my first 3 years of uni - I've enrolled in a few extra classes to keep my Youth Allowance from Little Johnny and we're in one of those classes together.

I was supposed to have a PHd by now.....

4. bemylover macrumors regular

I've already got my masters. PhD is not too far away.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Grrr..... that's what I have to say about that.

Stupid Uni, telling me what I can and can't do....

6. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

nah... who needs college? Steve doesnt!

actually, I find out what highschools I got into tomorrow! :) *fingers crossed*

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Highschools? What are you? 11? 12?

I thought you were older than that? i thought you were about 16 or 17?

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Just use your sister's student card ;)

What a shame, Dr. Chundles has such a nice ring to it.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh, I plan to use her card, no worries with that....

It does indeed, oh man, where did it all go wrong :rolleyes: ?

10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

whoa... do I act that old???? Im 14. 15 in May. In old for my class though.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

14?

Sorry, I forgot you guys have that funny system of going to 5 or 6 different schools before Uni.

Here, we go to Primary School (K - 6) and then to High School (7 - 12). I went to High School just after I turned 12, we don't have that Junior High/Middle High thing here, just plain ol' high school.

12. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Preschool
    Elementry (K-5)
    Middle School/Junior High (6-8)
    High School (9-12)

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Preschool
    Primary (K - 6)
    High School (7 - 12)
    Uni (2001 - 2006 and counting... minus one year holiday)

14. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

First of all, I find it interesting that everyone outside the US says university instead of college. I'm used to reading it here now, but sometimes I'll slip it into a conversation just to see people's reactions. Secondly, why does your semester start so late (relatively)? Are you on a trimester schedule, or is it just that way? I'm asking because I'm already six weeks into my semester. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Remember, we're in the Southern Hemisphere. It's summer down here at the moment. We, like you guys, have our long break over the summer so our school year goes from February/March till November/December.

Here at Wollongong University we have two semesters, Autumn Semester, running from late Feb/early March through till June. 13 weeks of classes with a mid-session break. And Spring semester, running from July through till November, also 13 weeks classes with a mid-session break.

At the end of each session we have a week of stu-vac followed by a two week exam period.

Each University year occurs within one calendar year.

We call University "University" because that's what it is. Here, a "College" is a hall of residence attached to the University. Colleges are not always on-campus, Wollongong has a number of residential colleges but only one of them is on-campus - it works well cause campus is a fair way from town and the beach (about half an hour from each walking) and the colleges are much closer to the action. Most Uni campuses here don't resemble the "small towns" of the ones in the States - they are generally just the Uni buildings and a few ancillary buildings for library, food court, bookshop etc.

A college can also be a small tertiary institution that focusses on very specific fields - often business. Colleges generally run short, one to three year courses at the end of which you are presented with either a Certificate I/II/III or IV in your chosen field or sometimes a Diploma. Colleges generally do not issue degrees and none can issue degrees unless they are conferred by a local University.

16. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Thanks for the explanation, Chundles. I'd forgotten it's summer down there right now. My school has two summer class sessions, but we don't have any sort of winter sessions like you do. Our winter break is only 3 weeks.

Your description of what you call a college sounds more like what I would call a technical institute, which issue two-year associates degrees.

17. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Already at college. College is a whole lot of fun as long as you make it that way. If you dont get out and be social you wont have much fun.

18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

..that "OH YEAH" made me miss Duffman :( ...as for college i'll be going in 2 years and can certainly wait at this point, i actually love high school.

19. CompUser Guest

Here in my town in Connecticut we do this
    Preschool
    1x Primary K-2
    2x Intermediate 3-6
    1x Middle School 7-8
    1x High School 9-12

20. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I start college this fall, and I'm still waiting to hear back from some universities. Though I just found out yesterday I got a scholarship to go to Tulane, so I'm not so stressed anymore :).

21. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Finished my degree last year at UT(Texas), in the Air Force this year :)

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

In my second quarter at DePaul in Chicago, it's alright for the fact that I get an almost free ride.

23. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

ROTC covered my living and tuition. Free rides are great :cool:

Coming out of college without a lick of debt = priceless :p

ok...so it wasn't a complete free ride...bit of work, but still, lol :eek:

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yea, I'll only have a few thousand dollars in debt when I'm done with school in three years. I think about 18 grand of the 20 grand is covered each year, so it's not bad.