Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
to be honest, unless you are majoring in a subject that requires large amounts of power, you do not need two computers. save the money. (you WILL need it).

i agree, a mac is the best way to go at the moment, especially being able to run XP for the programs that require it...its much more flexible. you can use OS X for all the important things, i.e. music, movies and photos / general usage). the Macbook is nice, i would go with that portable option at uni. laptps are a godsend when unpacking and packing your room / going home for the weekend. :D

as for the people who take laptops into class, well, it's up to you, but IMO its always a good idea to keep those writing skills up to scratch...you wont be typing the exam!

S

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
the mac mini, especially with boot camp out now, makes the most sense since it's cheap and it will suffice for nearly any major

of course if you are a design major, get the imac or even professional powermac since you will want the power and choice of screen size...or even crt if you are doing video editing or game design

a mbp sounds nice but remember they are far easier to break (by dropping or spilling something on it) and people could steal it from anywhere you work...when you have a computer in a room, all you have to do is secure the room

when you are out using your laptop, you are always taking a chance unless you carry it everywhere with you like i did with my ibook...and i still have my ibook...but it was a pain always worrying about someone stealing it if i brought it out

some people get a laptop for their room, due to space, and rarely bring it out and that is also a good option...especially if you buy a kensington security lock for it...not perfect but if someone was determined enough to cut the cord with a heavy duty wire cutter, they would also find no problem in planning to break into a room and steal a power mac

and also desktops just last longer since they are not always being lugged around and having their delicate parts (modem, ethernet port, keyboard, lcd) always fooled with and touched/plugged/unplugged

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
jefhatfield said:
the mac mini, especially with boot camp out now, makes the most sense since it's cheap and it will suffice for nearly any major

of course if you are a design major, get the imac or even professional powermac since you will want the power and choice of screen size...or even crt if you are doing video editing or game design

a mbp sounds nice but remember they are far easier to break (by dropping or spilling something on it) and people could steal it from anywhere you work...when you have a computer in a room, all you have to do is secure the room

when you are out using your laptop, you are always taking a chance unless you carry it everywhere with you like i did with my ibook...and i still have my ibook...but it was a pain always worrying about someone stealing it if i brought it out

some people get a laptop for their room, due to space, and rarely bring it out and that is also a good option...especially if you buy a kensington security lock for it...not perfect but if someone was determined enough to cut the cord with a heavy duty wire cutter, they would also find no problem in planning to break into a room and steal a power mac

and also desktops just last longer since they are not always being lugged around and having their delicate parts (modem, ethernet port, keyboard, lcd) always fooled with and touched/plugged/unplugged

When you roam around the dorm with a 17-inch (or 15-inch for that matter) you really start to notice how narrow those doorways are...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.