College Decisions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sean7512, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I am in a delima, as I have no idea on what to do. I currently own a Gateway laptop and an eMac. I was thinking of selling both and either getting a 14" iBook, a 12" Powerbook or a 17" iMac. The whole Student Union deal sparked this, as I really want a 20GB iPod and with that rebate, what a good time. I just don't know what kind of money that I could get for the two computers or if it was worth it. Here are the specs of the comps.

Gateway Laptop
    P4 Mobile 1.4 GHZ
    512 MB DDR Ram
    20 GB HD
    32 MB ATI Mobility Radeon
    CD/DVD drive
    Floppy Drive
    15" screen
    Win XP Home SP2
    802.11b wifi

eMac
    1.25 GHz G4
    1.24 GB Ram
    80 GB HD
    32 MB ATI Radeon
    Superdrive
    Tiger

I was more leaning towards the laptops for portability, but the power of the iMac for cheaper is insane! For the Mac that I want...I MUST have at least 80GB HD and 1 GB Ram. I was going to buy the base models and buy the extra ram off of crucial, since it is cheaper. Please remember that I am on a tight budget, and the iMac comes out to be the cheapest, then the ibook, then powerbook. If I do sell those two computers, how much money do you think I'll need for a new Mac.

Or do I keep my two computers and wait for the Mactels?

Thanks

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Don't get a 14" iBook unless your eyes are bad. You don't get to see anything more, everything is just bigger. Get the 12" if you are going for an iBook.

3. matix macrumors member

Being a student myself, i would recommend using just one computer regardless of what you end up with.

If i was in your shoes, I'd be selling them both and buying a 12 inch pb or a 17 inch imac. Don't forget that the ibook is 8.5 months since being updated.

Cant say i know what a pentium laptop is worth at all. my guess is 650-800 for your emac with the upgraded ram and superdrive.

4. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, decisions decisions. I can get 650 - 800 on my eMac? Where to sell at, ebay or advertise in the paper?

Edit* 8 in a half months?!?!?! that is crazy, why soooo long. I thought they were recently updated to 1.33 GHZ

5. matix macrumors member

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I would of course try family and friends first. If there is a big enough market in your area, maybe the paper.

Since your emac is *almost* top of the line, I think you can get about 75% the value of the current superdrive model (999 + tax).

Ebayer's have a reputation for paying 'too much' for used macs, so i would suggest checking how much they are going for and possible put it up for sale there.

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

It was October 19th '04 when the ibooks were last updated. I think they haven't upgraded because they're switching to Intel. I'm assuming both 'Book lines will be first to get the new Intel chips since G5's never came about.

Ebay's a good place. Also try your local craigslist.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I think it depends on what you will be using the computer for.

I've owned a 12in iBook, 12in PowerBook, and 15in PowerBook in the last year and a half. (Only one at a time) But I've made my way up to a 15in PowerBook because I need the screen real-estate, and I will personally tell you that the 15in PB screen is much, much better than either of the two 12in machines (and the 14 is just out of the question). But take a serious look (at an Apple Store) at the iMac's screen. It's not nearly as high quality as the PowerBook's screen.

If screen quality is important, make sure to look at them in person.

8. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Screen size is not that big of a factor for me, as I like the idea of the small portablility of a 12" Powerbook. I am not sure if I want a laptop or desktop, cause the iMacs are soo fast, but I do love being able to take my computer with me. I will be playing on the hockey team, and with frequent hotel nights, it is always a good thing to have a computer. I am not sure what to do...whatever it is, July 25 is the day I buy it. That is the day after my grad party, so money should be alright ;)

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Budget permitting, I think you'd not go wrong with either the iBook12" (daughter/Sophomore) has liked hers, or an AlPB 15" which would get my vote.
    X

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I was referring to quality mostly, as opposed to size.

But as for the overall portability of the 12in PowerBook: it just can't be beat. It's combination of performance/price/portability is really a special combination. I loved mine.

11. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, I know...I wasn't thinking right when I posted before, haha. I have been to the Apple Store here in Pittsburgh and I have noticed the screen difference; however, I think no matter what model the screen will look great...Afterall, it is an Apple product. But in all honesty, I can't see the quality of the screen being such a big factor, because either way, it will look better than my eMac (CRT).

And above about the iBook 12", I'd LOVE that, but I also failed to mention that I'll need a Superdrive for school and home movies.

12. savar macrumors 68000

savar

When I started college, I thought a laptop was pretty pointless. In 2001, people didn't really take their laptops anywhere. They just sat on people's desk, costing more and offering less power. Now that wireless internet is everywhere, though, I think a laptop is a great idea. My next mac will undoubtedly be an intel laptop.

If you're really strained, however, mobility is just a luxury. The desktop mac is a better deal when you remove that variable.

I say stick with what you've got for now, get a new mactel laptop next summer. Besides, it'll give you a chance to make some money to afford it.

Get a 12 or 15" and an external display for when you have real work to do.

13. deebster macrumors 6502

I'd say keep what you have and wait it out for the MacIntels.

You have a pretty fast Mac in the eMac, which already has plenty of RAM. You could add a larger HD or get a firewire enclosure and a nice 200 GB + HD to go in it if you feel the need for more storage space.

It also has a superdrive already, so in my opinion you would be losing out by selling only to buy a new (but perhaps soon to become 'old') laptop that pretty much duplicates everything you just sold.

If you don't think you need a PC anymore (and you are in the right place to be told that you don't :)) then maybe flog that and use the proceeds to get the iPod you want and any accessories you fancy.

You could get a second display for the eMac if you want, and then use the spanning hack to run different displays at the same time.

Or maybe even pick up a second hand iBook to use on the move.

14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

That may or may not be a safe assumption. The eMac has a very bright, crisp CRT. Don't get me wrong, it's not the world's greatest, and they have had some rough issues with eMac displays. But if you end up with a 12in iBook with moderately uneven backlighting, you're stuck. Whereas the eMac screen is 17in, even brightness, and much higher resolutions than the iBook is capable of supporting on its internal monitor.

(I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. :) )