college dorm life

Discussion in 'Community' started by collegedude, Aug 15, 2003.

1. collegedude macrumors newbie

As some of us embark towards college, what are some essential and not so essential items that would be advantegeous to life on campus. To exemplify my question, what are some useful items (possibly tv, refrigerator, microwave, wireless router, etc.) excluding common sence supplies (pens, pencils, paper, mac laptop) as well as suggestions of a frivolous nature.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, its been a while for me, but one thing I do know is that if you're sharing a room with some others you might want to contact them to see what they're bringing.

A refrigerator, microwave, etc. might be redundant.

One good thing would be a George Forman - easy to cook almost anything in and easy to clean up. Along with a few cheap pots and skillet if you're up for be a bit more adventurous in a kitchen if its available.

As for internet connection - depends on the school as well. And if you hook up a router, you'd really only need one wireless for the whole floor if its not already there.

Good luck!

D

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've got my cloths, my box of school supplies, some cleaning items for the bathroom, my laptop, my tv/stereo/xbox, and a bookshelf. My roommates have their own stuff, but for the most part, it's best to be on the lean side since the room will be crowded and it'd make it that much easier to move in and out. Best thing to do is pack light and if you need anything, go to Wal Mart, that way you can more easily guage what you need when you need it.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

When you move into the dorm room, and you unpack your tv.. and you go to plug the cable in and you realize you dont have a CO-AX cable.. you go to the local Target and guess what, they're completely sold out. Guaranteed. No one remembers those damn things. It's going to be that way with a lot of stuff.. you'll go 3 days without something because the store wil be sold out.

Category 5 cable is a good idea as well.

Dry erase board for leaving notes for your roomates.

Slippers for the trips to the bathroom.. trust me, you dont want to go bare foot. Something to carry your soap and stuff in.

Clothes detergant... hmm.... clothes hamper.

Damn, this is making me miss the good old days....

Then depending on your major we can get into less general stuff... where you going, what you studying? Also, be prepared to be setting up PC's for the LAN, the people down the hall won't know wtf they're doing and they will want your help. Windows... yay.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Damn, don't I know it...how come it's always the Mac users that they come to for helping them set up their PCs? Just when you think you've escaped...you get sucked in again by two roommates, 4 suitemates, and half the floor with their brand new PCs and no clue how to set up for a network.

PS- Yes, slippers are a must...and toilet paper...trust me on this one, it is a life saver and toilet paper is worth its weight in gold.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

even though i made friends for life in the dorms, i did not like the institutionalized feeling of the dorm and the student cafeterias...but then again the arichitect who designed the dorms i lived in also designed the prison system and anytime i drive near a prison, i can see the resemblence;)

ps - i am referrng to the california penitentiary system and it's resemblence to the dorms at cal state univeristy san luis obispo...the dorms in the other state campuses may just be fine and not resemble incarceration

i lived in the dorms the first two out of three quarters in my first year of college and felt grateful to get out off campus and live more like a regular member of society having to to grocery shopping and driving everywhere...being in the dorms is convenient where everything is handed to you...but for some, that's too easy and not enough struggle and it's easy to get into a habit of sluffing off

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, my dorms look like a cross between a prison cell and a low rent motel room...the food in the cafeteria isn't much better, either!

8. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My dorm has a microfridge built in, so I don't have to worry about that.

My roommate is bringing a TV, but I advise against it if you can do without. It's a major distraction, and is only really useful when watching the news or weather. For entertainment purposes, there are much better things to do than watch TV in your room...

I have all the basics, like towels, extra-long sheets, bathroom stuff (slippers, or sandals are a MUST!!! some people have nasty feet!), school stuff, my printer, a lamp, iPod poster, a power strip with a surge protector, CD-R's, cables for my computer, TI-calculator, rechargeable batteries and charger, flashlight, rug, tupperware boxes, and some other stuff...

I can't have a george forman grill in my dorm. Or any other kitchen appliance, except a coffee maker that meets certain requirements. I can't have extension cords either, or decorative lighting, or halogen lamps rated above 120 watts. I can't have a wireless router, unless I have permission from the university, and I don't have to worry about toilet paper because of community bathrooms. You also can't use the elevator if you live on the 2nd-4th floors (I live on the 6th, though...)

I'm going to be living in the largest dorm in the US, and second largest in the world. It's cafeteria is also rated lowest. Yum... Of course, part of being so close to so many people and sharing so much with so many people (besides leading to theft), is the benefit of having a more social environment. The new dorms kinda separate people, letting them spend more time in their room, and less time having to socialize with others...

9. sacrilicious macrumors regular

No, that's why you need it. Not only will that stuff run out at key moments, but it is thin, high grade sandpaper.

10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I second that. when I had to leave for Germany after May's graduation, I could easiliy fit ALL!!! my stuff in 3 suitcases and one backpack (and I had tons! of clothing and other stuff...)

one of my two roommates stuffed our room with all his crappy things and tons of stuff he never used anyway (besides all the nerdy star wars and star trek posters, aaaarg!!!). keep it simple!

oh, and if anyone thinks "oh well, he will have to go home by plane, he can easily say that...", I also try to have as few things as possible at my place at my home university in Germany (believe me, chicks dig it if it's nice, tasteful and tidy [and what a better way to start with that than choosing an Apple Macintosh ;) ])

vSpacken

11. shecky Guest

shecky

other than all the regular blah blah a few items that are must haves:

-condoms i say this not jokingly, but because it it easyer to see some action in college then it ever will be ever again, and you NEVER know when the opportunity may strike, so to speak. So do the smart thing and be prepared, that way you do not have to give up a potentially pleasureable encounter.

-plastic wastebasket specifically, something that is not going to rust (i.e. a metal wastebasket) and something that can be hosed out. late nite drinking + pizza at 4 AM + metal mesh wastebasket at 9AM the next morning = a very big mess.

i speak from experience on this one. have fun at school :)

12. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Hot Pot

I highly recommend a hot pot- kind of like an electric kettle but the whole lid comes off. They can be used to cook anything. I used mine to make coffee (although only at first), Mr. Noodles/Ramen, macaroni and cheese, etc..

They were under 20 bucks when I was in school. I think Tefal makes a good one.

Also, depending on how good or bad your mattress is, I'd recommend a foam-rubber pad to put over the mattress. They're great. Good for a noise suppressor, too. You know, if you toss and turn a lot. ;)

Get 4 pieces of ABS pipe and put both beds up on poles if you can. You also will need a roll of metal banding to anchor the poles to the wall. We had a sofa under one bed and the TV/bar fridge under the other.

A pair of flip-flops for the shower is also a good idea.

And, last but not least, you gotta have a gimmick. Just something to make your room different from the others. I put up Christmas lights. Other people had traffic signs, neon lights, and other cheezy things. Cheezy is okay if it's different.

Have fun.

Squire

13. shecky Guest

shecky

common ordinary laundry detergent + paintbrush + creativity + blacklite = invisble by day, retro-hippie dayglow patterns on the walls & celing by the warm glow of the blacklite at nite

i have also found that all those "regulations" on what you can and cannot have are utter BS - you only need to worry about it on the off chance that your RA is a total dweeb (which they usually are not) and is really going to bust you for an extention cord (unlikely) Just dont be blatantly stupid and you will be fine.

where ya going to school anyway?

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Jef speaking of a spartan living arrangement. Here in Boston this Fall, some lucky students will have ther dorm in a hotel. Due to over crowding the students will stay in a hotel in Kenmore Square. They will have all the amenities like room service, resturants, botiques, and hair stylists. One item they won't have is laundry facilties in house.

Mr. Anderson have you seen the new George Forman Grills, the lid sports the iMac color look. I had to do a double take when I first saw a commercial, it should be a iForman grill! :p

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

next year when i go im taking my powermac, powerbook, gaming pc, ps2, gamecube, xbox, microwave, fridge, dr pepper, spagettios, corn dogs, and a big tv. then im set for college.

iJon

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My room first year was so awesome. We had all three beds suspended and under them we had two futons, a fridge and microwave, 8 speakers, a 32" digital tv, 600 watt surround sound, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, a DVD player, and between all of us, we had about 120 DVDs and 1000 CDs. It's amazing what thrift stores, having two roommates, and a nice scholarship refund check can do for dorm room decorations. :) We even had glow in the dark stars on the ceiling and lights all over the walls when we had the mood to light the place up for weeknight movie/game/party nights. I'm still saving up my money with a few friends to move into a nice beach house for senior year, but for now I have at least one more semester to be stuck in the dorms...I just hope my new roommates aren't going to spoil anything (I got stuck with two freshmen because my roommate had a family emergency and can't come back for fall semester). Enjoy college life, it rocks.

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

what about your candy?

seriously tho, your not gonna have room for all that stuff...

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

on a more practical note...

living with roommates, you may find that there is little more valuable than earplugs and a mask to sleep in. no lights or noises to disturb the few hours of sleep you will so desperately need.

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The two most needed items--bath slippers and toilet paper.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ah yes my candy, oh ill have room, ill make room for it. hell i just may live at home during college, dont have to pay for anything, free food, and a the house to myself since im an only child.

iJon

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

one year as an exchange student at london university, i got to spend the whole time in a hotel since the students got a special deal on the rooms...i can't remember if we got room service or if we had to keep the rooms up...the great thing is that we were off campus and we all had london and the city life right outside our door

the kitchen at the bottom of the hotel served up breakfast and i became really close friends with the lady there and we became buddies and spent a lot of time together...i ditched class a lot and spent most of my time with her everywhere in london and got to see the non-tourist stuff

the hotel in the middle of london proved too much of a distraction for us being that many of us got bad grades and spent a lot of time elsewhere besides class...one teacher got so fed up with the bad attendance that he stopped showing up to class when it shrunk down to nothing

one student met their fiance there and was never heard from again...most of us being adults made it so that once we touched down at heathrow, going to class was not a must and coming back to the states on an airplane was not mandatory...i stayed a little longer but some students spent extra months there...some with their parents who played hookey themselves from their lives in the states

i think these exchange programs breed ex-patriates and we lose some americans to europe this way...i think jackie o was introduced to europe through school and she actually ended up staying there for a long time and becoming european and developing some refined tastes not generally known in america...so when she married senator kennedy and then came to the white house, it became a mad redecorating time

i remember visiting the white house in the 70s during carter's tenure and the white house was still decorated and made up much the way jackie o left it in 1963...before jackie o, a lot of the white house was outfitted with department store furniture and the white house was not fit for a public tour:p

22. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i wouldn't plan on buying a router or hub right away until you look into your school's internet regulations. at the university of minnesota, i know that they get really angry if they find out you are running more than one computer on the internet at a time.

you'll get used to the community bathroom toilet paper. if not...you need to toughen up.

one thing i really suggest is a door stop! the best way to meet people at college is to leave your door open when you are in there and not studying or doing homework. and, go around and say hi to everyone in the halls and with their door open.

23. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

at my school you can get 12 condoms every 2 weeks... I guess the students are expected to keep the sabbath. Not sure of the brand tho

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It's all about the Trojans! "From this day forth, whenever people get wood, they'll think of Trojans!"

25. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the community advisors and the U of MN have a giant box full each. they are expected to give them out to anyone who asks for them...no limit...

i guess they want to try and stop gopher warts...:D (for those of you who don't know, the gopher is our mascot...hence...gopher warts)