College Football Bowl Games!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSaint, Jan 2, 2006.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's a great excuse to lay around, eat chips and dip, and watch some great football. (Although I did help take down the Christmas tree and decorations today.) The matchups have been really good this year with many close games. I wonder if MacDawg went to the Sugar Bowl in Atlanta?

Anyone else get into the college bowl season?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not at all.

There was a time when, on any given New Year's Day, you could sit down and watch 12 straight hours of college bowl games, from 10 AM to 10 PM... in fact, ALL THREE NETWORKS would play football all day. It was virtually impossible to watch all of the action, unless you had three TVs.

Now, the bowl games are almost ALL televised nationally (because that's what the sponsors want... remember when it was just "the Cotton Bowl" and "the Rose Bowl"? now it's the "Nokia Cotton Bowl" and the "Tostitos Fiesta Bowl", or whatever), which means that college bowl season stretches out over two weeks or more. I don't know of anyone who can endure watching a football game (or two) every day for two weeks.

NFL playoffs, yes. College bowl season, no. But I will watch the Rose Bowl to see Texas and USC duke it out.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I couldn't agree more. And that feeling is doubled by the seeming meaninglessness of the games.

Who wants to watch Penn State/Florida State play for pride? I'd rather watch the two teams play for a trip to the final four ...

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I am a spot watcher and find it difficult to sit through an entire game, let alone all those that are televised (and I do not even have cable access). Some matchups are hardly mesmerizing and actually worthier of the title "Toilet Bowl."

I'll make a good effort to watch that one and hope it is exciting and lives up to all the promise and hype. This coming weekend is when the NFL takes center stage and the wildcard games often prove to be outstanding.

5. goodwill macrumors regular

I always get into the bowl season. Why? Because professional sports do not always have the tradition, the faithful alumni and fan base and athletes that will never turn pro, but give all of their heart for the love of the game and the thrill of the victory. Bowl Week is very over-commercialized, but with what I just mentioned, how could it not be. I am more of a Final Four fan, but even if you're not a football fan, its hard to resist the rivalries and matchups throughout the college football season. Plus, like isaint said, who wouldnt want a reason to be lazy and chill out while you enjoyed this time of year!

6. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Pick and choose the games you want to watch. Easy as that.

Don't give a crap about Akron playing Memphis in the Motorcity Bowl? Just don't watch it.

For me though, despite the fact that Ohio State was not in the Rose Bowl, I thought it was awesome seeing them in the Fiesta Bowl (it was even better watching them beat Notre Dame).

I do however wish that more of the bowl games were match-ups between rival conferences. The Motorcity Bowl, though tiny, has been for the past few years been between the BigTen(11) and the MAC. I like that.

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Just got back to my hotel from the Rose Bowl. It was awesome. (I guess not for USC fans, but 34 wins in a row? It's gotta end somewhere.)

I still can't remember much about the game, and it hasn't sunken in yet that we're the national champions, but it will soon. All I can say is that it was a spectacular, well played game, by both sides.

Anyways, gotta get some sleep, because tomorrow, I'm going to DISNEYLAND!!!