College football picks

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5orbust, Nov 19, 2003.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Well guys,

College football is coming to a close. With the last few weeks closing in, there is contraversy within the BCS (bowl championship series- rose bowl, sugar bowl, orange bowl, fiesta bowl) between Ohio State and USC.

Who do you fans (if you are) think will end up in the top 4 bowls: Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl.

My picks:

Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma vs. USC
    Rose Bowl: Washington State vs. LSU
    Orange Bowl: Up in the air
    Fiesta Bowl: Up in the air

2. job macrumors 68040

job

The OSU-UM game is crucial.

If UM wins, they go to the Rose Bowl. If OSU wins, they have a chance to defend the National Championship.

It all comes down to this one game.

And being a OSU fan myself, I'd like to see them win at Ann Arbor again. But sadly I don't see that happening. Honestly, most of the pressure is on Michigan and especially Navarre, since all the critics/pundits claim if he does not win, he'll be remembered as the QB who couldn't beat OSU. If the Bucks can keep a solid defense going and stop the run, I think they could keep it a close game and maybe pull off the win. Remember last year when everyone thought Miami would absolutely stop OSU? Defense wins championships. Hang on Sloopy, because this year's game is going to be tough.

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

If Oklahoma winds up against USC, then Michigan or Ohio State have to wind up in the Rose bowl. GO U OF M!! Also, if USC plays for it all, Washington State will almost certianly not go to the Rose bowl as the Pac 10 slot will become at large. Michigan vs. LSU is a real possibility, but if Ohio State wins i think you will see LSU vs. USC. FSU is going to a BCS bowl, we know that. But my pick, michigan all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

4. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Well Id have to disagree. I think washington state will be in the Rose bowl if USC goes to the Sugar bowl (remember than the rose bowl is the #1 conference ranked Pac-10 team)

Also

GO U of M! Beat OSU!

5. straphound macrumors member

The Buckeyes will beat the bad guys from up north and go on to defend their national championship!!!!

Granted, I am from Columbus so I am just a little biased. :D

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Your all underestimating the Fighting Illini, well not really, once northwestern beats us, we'll be number one of the bottom ten on ESPN

7. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Exactly, so if USC goes to the national championship, the top pac 10 team is spoken for. And they dont automaticly send the #2 in the conference. We could very well see michigan vs. texas in the rose bowl, but they just said on sports center and i agree, no washington state in the rose bowl because they just dont have the marketibilty and they can't sell enough tickets. But i agree, GO U OF M!!!!!!!!!!

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

You forget that the Big Ten #1 team gets a bid to the Rose Bowl as well. If Ohio state wins against U of M, then the Rose Bowl would likely be a toss up, otherwise it will be Michigan and not Washington.

9. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Speaking of OSU and the BCS voters, it's pretty obvious that those seven voters have been given disproportionate power in the system. OSU has stunk all year, winning by small margins all year. They're the emotional favorite for challenging for the BCS championship, but having beaten Bowling Green and Penn State only because of a stalled final drive - 2 teams not even ranked - it seems apparent that they don't have nearly what it takes to be competitive in the Sugar Bowl.

Right now, I'm just hoping for LSU to lose to Ole Miss (possible) and for USC to somehow stumble for UCLA (quite unlikely, I know). Then Michigan will have a clear shot at the Sugar Bowl.:D

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

he he, fun time of the year...

it's a funny thing, all the "experts" and "critics" were about go nuts over BCS and... TCU loses. there's at least one less thing to worry about. i personally think the problem with many people is that BCS is not meant to work like polls but they still expect them to. if they wanted polls, they should have kept the polls...

anyway, if michigan wins and goes to rose bowl (and usc goes to the title game), wash. st. is not a lock for rose at all. rose bowl used to observe strict big-ten vs. pac-ten but they don't have to. if they deem that michigan will bring enough fans to fill the rose bowl, then they are free to choose from any of the top 12-BCS teams. if they wanted a traditional match up, they may pick wash. st., but otherwise, they might got for a "better" match up and choose other higher ranked BCS teams..?

the good thing for Michigan/OSU is that this is the last game, unlike other teams in contention. there's no big-ten championship game like big XII or SEC to mess things up. it's not a gimme that USC (which has a game after this week, i believe), LSU or, for that matter, OU to win out...

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm really not a fan, as the locals are complete zealots, but it's nice to see a Louisiana (LSU) team get good reviews here. As we all know, we don't have many successful sports teams here. ;)

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

whether OSU goes or USC goes, i find the "controvercy" to be quite stupid.

a lot of people criticize BCS because they decide to draw their own conclusions about which team is better by, say, the number of losses or perceived strengths of schedule. this is non-sense. it especially drives me crazy when someone says "team X shouldn't be ahead of Y because Y beat X in a head to head match up."

BCS was made to combine all "relevant" information. you can't take one metric involved in the BCS calculations and criticize based on one...

because we can never have all the necessary head-to-head matchups to determine a champion, i'd say do away with this silly national championship concept. (unless you get a playoff.) big-ten and pac-ten teams go to rose bowl. if you win the rose bowl, you are the rose bowl champions. done. simple and elegant. it may leave some fans egos unsatisfied, but i think that's plenty good...

13. zed macrumors 6502

you are obviously referring to the new orleans Saints and not LSU (football, baseball, track).

as an alumni, i had to speak up. :)

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

of course... ;)

I was speaking in general though, just for clarification.

15. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

My good jxyama, I have no problem with the metrics used in determining the BCS rankings except the fact that seven individuals have so much power in the system and are able to vote for the game they want, not the teams that should be there. That said, my biggest problem is not the BCS in general but how OSU is being ranked :D . As a fellow michigan fan, I'm sure you share these same feelings for OSU:cool: . (And in actuality, I do want OSU to be ranked as high as possible when they recieve their devastating loss tomorrow, it'll make my beloved U of M look that much better)

16. job macrumors 68040

job

hah...and thats what all the pundits said last year when they played Miami. ;)

i'd much rather see OSU keep it close and win a game than see them in a shootout (a la Oklahoma or Texas Tech) and lose 45-40. score sizes are not proportional to something else if you get my drift.... ;)

any way the game goes, it's going to be a great football game, whether you're an OSU or UM fan, or not even a fan at all. :)

17. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

O-H—I-O

i pick OSU to win over Michigan. Just wanted to let everyone know that my school (BGSU) will be on ESPN on the 29th do to the Ole Miss. win lastnight. We are #25 in the AP Poll do to the OSU loss and the Miami (Ohio) loss. Go Bowling Green Falcons!

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: College football picks

what makes college football so interesting is how totally unpredictable it is

i don't know whether it's the short time kids are in college, their homework competing for their time, the party life competing for their time, pressure to marry the college sweetheart or missing the high school sweetheart back home, family pressures and being away from mom and dad, or the sheer number of teams out there, but it's so interesting how some great teams can crumble so fast and how some teams, jokes like the oregon ducks of the past can become decent teams in later years

a college running back can maybe do 100 yards in the first half and get only one yard in more carries in the second half...a kicker can make a really long one and then miss three field goal attempts in a row, etc... i used to watch cal's chuck muncie eat up the field and then somehow, just give up and become incompetent...as a pro, he did better because they were able to correct bad habits, tactics he may have had

pro football is much more consistent and far, far fewer errors and it's amazing what a difference there is between college footbal and pro football...a great pro team makes the sport look easy like the niners in their heyday or the cowboys in their heyday...with a great college team, i am just waiting for the next stupid choke, but being that the other team is also a college team, you can play awful football and still win the game...he he

college track and field atheletes look a lot like the pros, college baseball atheletes don't look to shabby, college volleyball jocks look decent, college basketball players often look like they can go straight to the nba, but college football is still such a tossup and some games i have seen have been reminiscent of a high school game:p

19. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

ROSE BOWL, HERE WE COME!!!!!

OSU no more!!! You were iffy from the beginning, but you did show once again that a decent defence will keep you in the game. It's a great year for the Big Ten anyhow, with 8 Bowl eligible teams.

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

My dad flew back to Michigan for the game. Since he played there, they allowed him to go on the sidelines for the game, and go on the field pre-game with all his buds that played.

When he gets home (Monday/Tuesday), I will post the pics he took.

21. bcsimac macrumors 6502

I just feel bad for the small TCU school. I wanted to see them in a BCS bowl game against one of the bigger boys to just prove a point. Oh well, maybe sometime in another year we will get that. At least Tennessee was 7th in the BCS......although my wife isn't satisfied with that.

22. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Wahoo!

Michigan got its bid to the Rose Bowl

Washington State lost to Washington, shattering hopes of the Rose Bowl, but they will most likely end up in the Holiday Bowl (good for me. I live in san diego)

My New Rose Bowl Picks: Michigan and Texas (kick ass game which I get to go to)

USC flogged UCLA

Oklahoma decimated Texas Tech

My Sugar Bowl picks: USC and Oklahoma

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You're all wrong! Wentworth is gonna pwn!! GO WENTWORTH WOOOO!!!!

Oh wait, we don't have a football team...

24. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

...I was going to say....

25. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Michigan is 4th in BCS. Very good.

See, I'm not totally anti-BCS. They got it pretty good this week. The seven BCS voters finally gave Mich a bit of respect. I especially like how they kept OSU high. Those quality win points help!! We've almost passed LSU!!!

MacAztec, tell us more about your dad. You said he qb'd for U of M? I sure want to see those pics.