College has started how's it going

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Oct 29, 2004.

1. indifference macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    hey College has started, how's it going? What's happening in classes and on campuses around the US?
  2. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2004
    The Alpha Quadrant
    I'm a freshman at Grand Valley State University in Michigan. I have fallen in love with my school and the college life. It's crazy and hectic but so much fun. My favorite part of school is my job. I'm a student worker on the school's Website Development team. I love it because I'm getting hands-on, real-life experience in the field that i love and hope to enter someday. My boss and co-workers are so great, so knowledgable and willing to teach. It's a real great situation and I couldn't ask for more.

Classes are okay--there's good profs and bad ones. I'm already counting the days until Christmas break :p
  3. oreo macrumors member

Jun 19, 2004
    Kent, UK
    I'm a university student in the UK (Canterbury, Kent), studying to be a nurse. I'm in the second year (which I'm not sure what you'd call that in the US). Uni classes are boring & don't teach you anything about nursing, they are more interested in training us how to be managers & researchers, I'm now on a six week community placement, which is 9-4 or earlier monday to friday.
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    It's a bloody nightmare, you students haven't got a clue what's going on till about week 6, and then you're all too drunk/stoned/exhausted to get any real work done. Only the 3rd years are really working, and that's cos they know they'll leave too much work till far too late... :D :D

Actually it's all been very civilised so far, we haven't finished building some of the new studios, and some lecturing is being done in makeshift rooms but its cool, a good crop of students this year. :cool:
  5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    I'm in my third year and i still get too drunk to get much done. :D

Partying from wednesday to sunday is pretty exhausting. The only thing that i have really learned is how to party half of the week and procrastinate the other half. Then again, i am taking boring business courses that are still way too easy for me even i my third year.
  6. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    Raleigh, NC, USA

Maybe I can tutor you, because I've got it down solid. Also, it helps if you have a girlfriend that goes to a school that's 3 hours away. Close enough to go every couple of weeks, far enough to make it hard to get any work done.
  7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    I think i would get less work done having a girlfriend at a school that far away than i do now with one that is at my school. If they are that far away, i have to talk to them on the phone every day, but with one here i can just go to eat with her or IM her.
  8. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    im a freshman at university of missouri-rolla and its going pretty good. my roommate sucks, other than that, its been a good year so far
  9. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    you bastard. i dont like you either.
  10. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Junior at Western Washington University. Into the 5th (I think) week of school and have 2 midterms on Wednsday. Still have a lot of reading/study guides to look over by then. Not really worried about the exams, more worried about my graphic design class assignment that is due Thursday. Still don't know what to design.

And why for the love of god did my teachers schedual exams the day after election night :confused: Don't they realize that alot of us will be celebrating (as in drinking) or getting outragiously mad and drinking even more because Bush won. I was planning on going to Seattle that night but because of the midterms I will have to stay on campus.

11. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Durr... I misread your other post. I read it as "I still need to learn how to party half the week and procrastinate the other half."

Hopefully my post makes more sense now... because you're right. A girl 3 hours a way takes more time than a girl next door.
  12. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    Into my junior year at New Mexico State as an electrical and computer engineering major. I'm going to be starting a co-op with the NSA next spring. I also got a job offer from the Jet Propulsion Lab ( but I turned that crap down ;)

Only difficult class this semester is Applied Electromagnetics 1. I'm hanging on to a B by the skin of my teeth.
  13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Well i'm into my 6th week at a college in the UK with loads of work to do and yet here I am posting here...

At the moment i'm just touching the MIDDLE of a 3 part essay regarding the theory of colour, so far i'm at 27,000 words, thats bigger than a theisis btw and its not something i'm supposed to do, Its something I want to do. Its super huge as well. It covers established colour theory, 17 theorists over the last 2000 years. RGB, CMKY,NCI, CEI and such and such colour models, how colours in other civilisations are perceived, the psychology of colour, interior design, colour blindness and how it affects suffers and much much more. My tutor said I could be writing a book!

I'm doing some freelance photography for college, shooting inside a supermarket. I'm a practising Graphic Designer not a Photographer, but hey its portfolio work at the end of the day.

I'm also at the moment designing 7 posters, 1 leaflet, 1 logo, rebranding a beer as well for a market, a hundred years into the future, all this from scratch. In other studies I have to draw a naked old man with charcoal and pencil every week till christmas.

Regarding portfolio work, I have to find a theme for another peice of photography i want to do and go through nearly 100 images I already have in order to see if they are worthy of being in a presentation folder.

On top of normal work I have to start looking for a university and attend interviews after christmas and am now in the process of researching such establishments.
  14. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Cheers to that! Actually, since I'm abroad this term I haven't been drinking quite as much, since I'm staying with a host family so my drinking has been limited to the weekends...but once I get back to school, it'll be back to work damaging my liver
  15. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    I am going to london this summer for a business internship program. I plan to do a lot of drinking there. The internship is only 4 days a week, so i will have plenty of drinking nights.

Who wants to go to the bars with me in london? :D
  16. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Hey, where do you guys go in Seattle to party? I'm a Jr. on a coop program so I got moved out to seattle (from NY state) for about a year and I'm having a horrible time finding college people down here (right next to tacoma).

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    im in my fourth year at NIU (northern il university) and i cant wait to be done, but that just means grad school for me seeing that i want to be an English Professor eventually, but yeah typical crap now, im used to the grind of things now, changing schools next year so that will be an eye-opener for sure