College Kid Spends 41 Hours in Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WildCowboy, Mar 28, 2006.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

A college kid decides to spend his entire week-long spring break in Wal-Mart (presumably open 24 hours). He lasts 41 hours and then quits.

Now he's appearing on all the morning shows and is weighing book and movie deals. You've got to be kidding me.

Linkety

2. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

OK.......I don't get the point, exactly, but to each their own. Sounds like something you'd catch me doing over spring break - browsing Wal-Mart for a day or so. You could probably ask an associate to open up the iPod case and tell her you want to try one out just for the heck of it.

3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Well, I can see where that guy's coming from. I play ball tag in Walmart with my irresponsible friends. (Of course, we play it where no one else is walking and we're quiet about it.) It's pretty fun, until a friendly obese sales associate nabs us. :(

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Yeah. Wal-Mart was a hangout spot of us in college (way back in the day, of course). But 41 hours?

I guess it's the logical outcome of consumer culture. Now if only this would inspire some grand, cultural self-reflection on consumerism as identity ....

5. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't have a problem with the 41 hours thing...college kids do nutty things. This isn't even all that strange. I remember seeing an article in the San Francisco Chronicle awhile ago about some kids that spent a long weekend riding every mile of every bus line in the city. Kids do things like this all the time...why on earth is this kid receiving so much attention for this? National exposure, book offers, movie offers? That's going to be one boring book/movie.

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

It's going be a snoozer/sleeper movie :D :eek:

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

41 hours in a Wal-Mart! :eek: I could think of some much better things to do with my time... :rolleyes:

8. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Why in the sweet name of the lord would you even want to spend 41 hours in a Walmart, let alone wanting to last the whole week!

9. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Oh man, too bad the kid didn't last 48 hours, then we could have had 2 explosive seasons of a 24 like TV show.

The Following Takes Place Between 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM.
    Event Occur In Real Time...

Irate morning workers are putting the squeeze on Skyler. Will Skyler be able to find the fiendish thief before he himself is blamed for the theft of the latest Pauly Shore DVD? Also there seems to be a turncoat mole in the security office, will Skyler be able to prove that the security officer was stealing from the register and not the now terminated clerk?! Find out next time on WAL-MART!

Of course the next episode after that would be like him sitting in housewares staring at the ceiling while irate customers yell at him to get the hell out of the way. I mean come on, its WalMart, everything can't be exciting.

10. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Wait... is that not normal? :cool:

I hate how people at my school see Walmart as a place to go and hang out on boring weeknights...
    "Hey let's look at the Barbie's and play tag at Walmart tonight!"

11. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Actually, that sounds oddly amusing - I'll bring it up next time me and my friend are bored.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds like a great idea tag, watch out reality tv. ;) :)

13. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

SOME PEOPLE ARE SICK, SICK PEOPLE.:eek:

I hate Walmart. Swear I won't shop there even when I'm a poor, struggling college student. :cool: :p ;)

For me: WALMART = HELL. :eek:

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Some people here are missing the point, I think.

He was in wal-mart looking for ideas to write about, watching people, and seeing what happened, not because he liked the store or felt it'd be a cool hangout.

To write effective novels you have to see people, and know how they act and how they speak. How better to get a sense of middle america than sitting in a wal-mart for a week?

Kind of a cool idea, imo.

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Was he going to write a novel? The link suggests a magazine article.

I think he was in the store to see what happens when you try to live life as you've been labeled, in other words, what does it mean to be a consumer, 24 hours a day, for one week?

Consumerism is the new American identity, and it seems to me that this is an original way to foreground -- and challenge -- that idea.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This isn't "book" material. A 2 page article in the city's newspaper, or just a blog entry, but not a movie, or a book, or anything of significance.

Wake me up when you do something interesting.

17. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

41 hours ehh? He must have been trying to check out.

18. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

I go into Walmart maybe once every 6 months... it's the most horrible shopping experience ever... and the people who shop there... yikes... i give the guy credit for lasting that long... never in a million years could i do it...

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Indeed. On one of those self-checkout 'conveniences'.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

As an art student I can say I doubt he thought of that part first.

Most artists love to say they have this idea they want to convey thru their work, when usually Id say they do their work and create the BS later. Not all artists, but the good ones do.

When one of my "alternative art" classes wanted to do a project everyone just wanted to videotape inside walmart. Once the project was done we made the video into something about WalMart being evil, but that wasnt the idea for the project.

As Robin Williams says: "You can bullsh** most people and jerk the rest off".

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Are you saying authors don't think about intent?

That Shakespeare just wrote a bunch of stuff down and then told people Macbeth was about morality and conscience?

I agree artists and writers discover what they intend as they go along. But I think most artists and writers have an initial vision first, even if that vision changes as they go ...

22. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I hate how if you do something dumb, or just anything out of the ordinary you become famous and people offer you movie deals.

Why the hell should anyone care about this. This should just be one of those 'funny' side stories in the paper with 3 sentences. I don't know why but it just really bugs me.

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Artists and writers ARE NOT the same.

Yes an author is an artist, but for my purposes here, they are not.

The kid did something, we call it a Performance Piece if anything. he didnt "write" anything, and if he did I dont think thats what people are bothered by. I doubt he had a purpose for doing it other than boredom.

its that someone who does something wacky gets media attention nationwide, and they dont deserve it.

If there is an "artist" I hate with the essence of my soul it is Cristo. Go wrap my penis you jerk.

24. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Sounds like a good idear for this week's YG, you should bring it up with Haji.

25. mpw Guest

So will the security guard responsible for the store's CCTV get an oscar nomination?

Edit:
    E! - "So what was your motivation for your role of 'Man in frozen food aisle at 1am?"
    2007 Best supporting actor - "Er...I wanted a frozen pizza."