College Laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smartalic34, May 16, 2006.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I know this is all pure speculation, but what is the chance of a Merom-based macbook pro being released at WWDC August 7th? Over the summer I'll be buying a macbook/macbookpro... if I choose the macbook, I'll buy in July as they aren't likely to be updated for awhile. I don't want to buy the current MBP in july if they will be updated speed-wise in august, however... thoughts? On a side note, what is the advantage of a base 15" MBP over a black macbook? they seem fairly similar spec wise

2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

the 15" MBP pro has dedicated graphics... this is a big plus.

3. Willy S macrumors 6502

The black macbooks are intended for people with low self esteem who cannot be seen with an identical white macbook for 200$ less. :rolleyes:

The MBP pro has x1600 dedicated graphics, although underclocked, and a larger screen.

4. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

haha yea I'm definitely leaning towards the 15" MBP... but what are the chances of Merom being introduced August 7 at the WWDC? Buying a MBP a couple weeks before a potentially significant speed bump has me wondering...

5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

No way. Dont buy an MBP now at all. Buy MB if you want. No MBP at all. Wait for meroms definitely. You`ll have them in the MBP this Aug most probably. A MacBook with intel GMA will be the same wether it`s a Yonah or a Merom. But in a MBP it can make one hell of a difference for sure. Atleast they`ll have a lesser chance of Whining and heating than the current ones.

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

SCREEN SIZE... it all depends on your major. I am a business major so I use Word and Excel EVERYDAY in class. When i get home, I have a 26" Samsung to work on, but in class my 12" PB screen (which I bought for portability to and from class) is a disappointment, i would LOVE a 15" screen, if not the 17 that i'm really leaning towards.