College Machine

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KingDanimus, Jun 1, 2003.

1. KingDanimus macrumors newbie

I need a new machine for college and I am currently a PC user for life. I have been looking at Apple for a long time now and I think that I am ready to switch. I plan to game casually in College and run CAD software so I would like to have a decent machine. Does anyone think that there is a chance that the new 970 will be released by September?

Also... is Apple worth the extra money for a college workstation?

Thanks alot (Im a first time poster)

2. evil macrumors 6502

ok. im in my 4th year of university. i just switched to apple a few months ago. personally. as the other posters in here will agree. it is worth it to switch.
    im using a 12 pbook now. i used to have a g3 500 ibook. if youre really really into gaming you may want an imac or a powermac cuz of the screen (even th 17 in pbook).
    i love my 12 pbook. its super portable which is cool when i want to take it to the library---which i also get the internet on in the library cuz of the airport card i have in here.
    apple will take care of you nicely, just research which model you want before you buy.
    i hope the new processor comes out soon cuz im looking to get a new desktop in september as well.

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

50-50 at best on a 970 in time for next school year.

What college are you going to? Does your major have any computer requirements? Are you going to get software to run for specific classes?

As far CAD software goes, it is much better on PC than Mac. As of yet, there is still no OS X version of AutoCAD.

4. KingDanimus thread starter macrumors newbie

Program

I am going to Syracuse University under the Aerospace Engineering program. I was not aware that AutoCad had not been released for OSX, thank you much for that. Would you say that it is worth the extra money and new equipment for the switch?

Argh I wish that a release date for 970 was posted but I guess thats not how it works on this platform :p .

5. evil macrumors 6502

i dont know much about cad, but you should still be able to run it in classic mode anyway...which means you could still use it.
    i think its worth it. i went and bought a new printer...that was all i needed. well it was a good excuse to get a new one cuz mine was dumpy anyway.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: College Machine

June 23rd might bring more info on that possibility.

At least - that's the next time there will possibly be "official news"

arn

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would think (or hope.... :() September would be the latest. Maybe that new MacPlus article can offer some insight.

8. donigian macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend a desktop Mac simply because it is not portable. You'll want to use your computer in class and at the library and, unless you're the exception, most people can't afford a desktop and portable Mac. Use your education discount and get a 15" TiBook. Although the 15" probably will be updated soon, you should still look into it. If the updates brind a weaker video card you should definately buy the TiBook with Radeon 9000m. If the updates bring a GeForce4 4200m or FX 5500m, that would also be good for portable gaming. Stay away from the 12" though, it probably won't be seem as powerful in a few years when you're still in school and can't afford a new computer.