College network problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by powerdave, Sep 29, 2004.

1. powerdave macrumors regular

Well, I can't connect.
    I'm using a 1.33Ghz Powerbook with 10.3.4, and I have been able to use 2 different PC laptops and network cables from this particular network point so it's gotta be my machine / settings. But, I'm just about positive I'm using the right settings, because it worked last May (the last time I was there) and I'm even specifying that particular date from the "Locations" drop down menu. In the Network Status part of Sys Prefs, I get an amber light for the Built-In Ethernet, saying that the computer has been assigned an IP address but I may not be able to use the internet. One peculiar thing is that the IP address I get assigned is a 169.xxx... number, whereas any PC I've seen connected always has an IP address that's 10.xxx... etc. I've got all the correct proxy settings so I know it's not that.

The Network Utility in the Utilities folder of Applications shows the Built-In Ethernet to be active and it shows bytes being transferred and received every now and again. I can also see some other computers on the network once in a while, but I've never been able to browse them when they do appear.

I've repaired premissions and reset the PRAM to see if it would make a difference, but it hasn't.

I'm kind of stumped- I'm hoping it's something simple that I've overlooked! Any suggestions would be appreciated, unfortunately I'm home for the rest of the week so i wont be able to try anything new till Sunday!

Thanks,
    David

2. brap macrumors 68000

169.* IPs are self-assigned. You're not getting an IP from the DHCP server; it could be they have locked your connection to a specific MAC address. In this case, you'll need it resetting - mail the admins - but it doesn't sound likely since different PCs have been given IP addresses from your connection. You may want to try not bothering with the old locations and set up a new one, with DHCP selected.

If you have access to them, you could possibly set up a connection manually using your old values, simply fill in the blanks and it should work - otherwise, I'm not sure... at the end of the day, this shouldn't be happening; tell your network admins you're not getting an IP assigned and they'll probably tell you what they did to exclude you :)

3. powerdave thread starter macrumors regular

When I get the 169 IP, I get it with all the settings set to auto- the DHCP is auto, IPv6, and pretty much everything else I dont understand :) The proxy addresses and ports are the only things I manually enter in myself.

I have set up new Locations and gone through the same setup but the result is the same, I just would have thought using the old Location from May was best since I knew those settings were right at some stage!

Unfortunately I don't have the old values to try. I did try specifying the same format IP address that the PCs get (but changing the last digits) but I had no luck. I dont really know enough to go fooling with other settings.

I thought the fact that the other laptops will work in my room meant that it was open to any MAC address, like you say.. so I don't really know what to do on that front.

Also, my uni offers no Mac support. The most they'll do is to make sure a windows PC works from the same network point, after that you're on your own!

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

do you need to register your computer? every fall when i get back to school, my computer needs to be registered. before that gets done, i get the 169 IP, after it, i get the real deal.

something to look into, anyway

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I agree.

Just becuase those other laptops work in your room, doesn't mean that their MAC addresses weren't regisitered with the network. Definitely something to ask your admin.

6. brap macrumors 68000

OK, first thing you should do is check with the admins, as stated by everyone else :)
    If it doesn't need registering, you can always get a friend's windows laptop over, and note down the settings assigned to them using "cmd > ipconfig /all" - IP, subnet mask, gateway, dns server.
    If you really wanted a quick test, you could use ifconfig on your Apple to spoof your friend's MAC address (don't worry, it'll be reset once you reboot the machine). If you then connect... Bob's your auntie.

7. ajkst1 macrumors member

This is very similar to what happened to my friend during my freshman year (2 years ago). He hooked up his G4 tower to the network and got no address. I hooked my PC laptop up with the same cable and port and got an address. It worked with a manual address. Now Mac users have no problems getting online. You may want to try a manual setting. If that doesn't work, call your (hopefully) friendly network admin and complain.

And shame on your university for not offering Mac support.

8. powerdave thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replies!
    I do have to register the MAC address alright. The reason I thought it wouldn't make a difference was because I was able to use it before having never actually registered, so I just figured the IT Dept. didn't actually use the MAC addresses for anything ;)
    So I still wonder why it worked back then... maybe I was just lucky for some reason.
    But I'd say you're all probably right, because since I went back last week the only laptops I've tried in my room were ones that I know for sure have been registered so it makes sense that they would work.

I think I'll try the ifconfig idea to spoof another MAC address first, just to make sure that's what the deal is before I actually go and register my own one, that way I'm not down the 130 Euro it costs to register and still end up with a dud network connection :)

And yeah, the University IT policy isnt Mac friendly at all, pity really. There's a Dell factory next door to the campus though so maybe it'd be the other way around if it was an Apple factory instead :)

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!