College Search

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cwright, Jan 16, 2005.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Hey guys...
    I've just started the 2nd semester to my senior year in high school, and I'm having some trouble deciding where to go to college. I want to focus on digital video/interactive media, using the apps we all know: final cut, dvd studio pro, after effects and motion, photoshop, flash, and maybe even get into the high end 3D stuff like lightwave and maya. Of all the apps mentioned, I consider myself proficient in dvd studio pro and motion, and advanced in photoshop and final cut.

Here's my dilemma: I can't seem to find many good colleges that focus on the graphics side of video and digital media. They all seem to be film schools that focus on storytelling, acting, etc. Can anyone point out any good schools that have programs like what I mentioned above?

I live in Missouri (Kansas City area), and a guy that I work for in Texas recommended the University of Texas in Dallas. We visited the college a few weeks ago. It is a possibility, but their program seemed much more focused on video game design rather than for video or DVD. maybe I'm being too picky?? :confused:

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me in the direction of a few colleges that would suit me. I'm not at all opposed to out of state, as long as the tuition is not too ridiculously high. Also, it is very possible that I would go to an in-state college for 2 years to take care of the general education requirements before moving to another school, so whichever school I go to needs to accept transfer credits. unless of course their programs start during the freshmen year, and I would probably go to that school for 4 years.

Last note: I'm also interested and somewhat skilled in advertising/print design. I'm familiar with all the standard apps (photoshop, illustrator, indesign) and would be curious if I could take a course in this as a minor and video/media as a major.

Sorry for such a long post. I'm obviously new to the whole college search thing, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated! :)

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Down the street from me North Carolina School of the Arts Might be more of what you don't want, but thought hey why not.

Also when you look at the page or image note the Apple Computer Requirment!

Attached Files:

3. spikeovsky macrumors member

spikeovsky

I have a high school friend who did a degree in "Electronic Media Arts and Communication" at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Troy, New York. It sounds like it might be the sort of thing you're looking for. He didn't care much for Troy, but seemed to enjoy it otherwise. It's probably worth checking out, anyway. No idea what tuition is like. Good luck with the search!

4. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

This school does seem to be more focused on film making rather than digital video and multimedia, but It's still worth checking out. The G4 Powerbook requirement is interesting too, although I was planning on buying a G5 :)

This seems to be a little closer to what I'm looking for. According to their website, the equipment is a bit dated (G4 towers, FCP3) but I'm not sure how important that is.

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming!

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You might check out The Art Institutes, which is where I plan to go (I'm a senior too). They have an integrated media which isn't as film oriented as you might like, but isn't outdated or too artsy. They have locations all over the US, I plan on going to the San Francisco location.

You might also look throughsome of my college threads.

Good luck with your search.

scem0

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Like scem0 said, The Art Institutes is a school to consider. They have a Media Arts and Animation, and Multi-media and Web Design programs (as well as others). Those seem like they may fit your goals.

That's where I went, what do you want to major in?

7. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

8. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read through most of that first thread, and you and I seem to have the same interests.
    I've looked at the Art Institutes and Full Sail before, but both of them are extremely expensive. The Digital Media Production at the Art Institutes seems to be exactly what I want, but it's nearly $70,000/year :mad:

9. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

this one looks VERY interesting...
    thanks!

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Also something to consider, what do you plan on doing with these skills once you get going.

Everyone who knows me knows I am a computer guy, simple as that. When they ask my major they assume computer science or something crazy like that. I have figured that all my skills I have taught myself about computers and software has simply been from books and playing around with the software. If your goal is to start a business or something you might want to consider going to a school, getting maybe a business degree while doing what you love on the side or picking up some of the specialized classes as electives or a minor possibly.

It's just my opinion. I just feel going after my business degree will be much more valuable to me then taking expert classes on Photoshop or film or anything. But other than my opinion I have no suggestions for you. Probably well off listening to Scem0, he has gotten much advice on this board about where to go, seeking the same things as you are.

jon

11. indifference macrumors regular

You could try Lesely University in Mass, but I agree that you could look at any Art Institute like the one in Seattle.

12. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

UTD? Interesting...

Back when I was an RTF major at UT Austin there were all sorts of opportunities for digital design and whatnot (I ultimately dropped the RTF major and somehow ended up studying ancient religion...so I can't really help you with contacts there). I know that in the last few years they revamped some of their programs, so I don't know what it's like now.

Of course, you may not be looking for the big University "experience" which is what this is. Currently, I'm attending my second big University, and aside from excellent resources (i.e. libraries, equipment, etc) I think it kinda sucks...I really wished I had gone to a tiny school for undergrad...

That's just me!

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Interactive Media, formerly known as Multimedia & Web Design.
    Yeah, they are really expensive. But you should apply to full sail and apply for a bunch of scholarship, and then financial aid. College is an important investment, so don't be afraid to invest big for it. The Art Institutes sponsor a lot of scholarship programs, too.

UT Austin is a great school, and I had planned on going there since I was a 7th grader, being an Austinite myself, but after some research, none of their programs really fit my interests. They have a great communication school, with very few technical classes! I'd love a degree from UT, they just didn't have the majors I was looking for. Plus, they have gotten REALLY hard to get into in the past couple of years, so I might have to spend a semester at UTSA and then transfer in or something.

scem0

14. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hadn't really thought about this before. Could you recommend any schools that would offer a business degree as well as some of the other courses in digital video, interactive media, etc?

Are you recommending Full Sail over the Art Institutes? As far as I can tell, there's only one Full Sail in Orlando, while there are many Art Institutes and I could go to one a little closer to home.
    Also, in one of your other threads, there were many people saying that a Full Sail degree was basically worthless, as they have no connections to real-world jobs after you earn the degree.

15. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

As a film major I will give you this advice:

While the editing/production part of film is what I am most interested in and the reason why I decided to become a film major, the things I have learned in my History/Theory/Survey classes have been indispensable. You can learn how to proficiently edit a film but, in my opinion, it is equally important to know WHY you should edit something in a certain way. Many times the editing tells a better story than the narrative does. However, if you are interested in just the technical side of things, a warning: Private art schools are very very expensive. Perhaps a jaunt down to your local community college would be in order. They many times offer classes on the production side of the film spectrum at a much reduced cost. Good luck on your decision.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I would completely agree with this statement - video production, the act of filming and editing the video, is good, but what is more important, if you plan for a career in film of some sort, to know *why* and *when* to do things, so courses in film theory and style are harder to learn, and more valuable lessons to take in the long term.

Making the cut is easy, cutting the crap is hard.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I have no specific examples to be honest. I am taking busienss classes right now at my school but they have some fun classes to take on the side, like film lecture, art, graphic art, and etc.

Also remember, if you go to school in a bigger city there is a good chance there would be an excellent Mac Users Group to attend and even better, a Final Cut Pro Users group. I think a group like that could benefit you a ton if you are interested in film.

The thing I like about a business degree is I can go many directions with it after I leave. I can work for a successful company, maybe manage or something like that. I can take my ideas and expertise and open a business.

What I might do in the future is go to back to my local community college. I got a couple of core classes out of the way before transferring to my major university, but the community college has a far better graphic arts department. So I can always go up there and have a pro teach me more Photoshop, Final Cut or whatever the program might be and then transfer them back to my university to pretty much take care of my elective classes. Tons of choices, just keep researching, you'll figure it out.

jon

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i second the vote for sva...peter max, milton glaser, basquiat, keith haring, many of the guys from DC and marvel

my wife went there and it has got her jobs for nearl¥ 25 years

19. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

College follow-up

Sorry to resurrect this thread, and sorry ahead of time for the long post.

Anyway, I just finished my first semester at Missouri State University. I listened to a friend of mine that I do freelance work for (video and print design stuff) who told me that he has experience with the programs in the Art Institutes and the like, and that their programs are not all they're cracked up to be. He told me that the best option would be to attend a 4-year university–so that's what I did.

I'm planning on entering the Mass Media major at MSU, but for the first 2 years I'm doing nothing but general education classes, and it really sucks. Before coming here I looked into the Mass Media program and it looks pretty good except for the fact that they use Avid rather than FCP. At first I thought it would be good to know both programs but I'm going to be using nothing but FCP after college so I'm starting to have second thoughts about entering a major that focuses on Avid software. Basically I'm just concerned that I'm going to waste 2 years getting to my major and find that I don't like it.

So I thought I would continue to look for other possibilities. I still want to get a 4-year degree, just maybe something that has a degree program more suited to me. I haven't decided not to finish school at MSU yet, but either way I'd want to finish 2 years here and move to another school that accepts those 2 years as transfer credits.

I'm still looking into some of the schools already mentioned, but any new suggestions would be welcome!

Just to repeat myself... I'm really interested in finding a program that teaches how to use After Effects along with the Apple Production Suite to create high-end feature film titles and effects, and interactive DVD menu design.

Thanks again!

20. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Check out MICA
    they have good digital video program

I would recommend my school, Atlanta College of Art, but SCAD is buying us out and this is the last semester. MICA has stated that they are willing to absorb our entire video department(i.e. the students). I am applying there as well for the fall semester.

" Facilities in video include a dedicated 20-workstation video lab featuring high-resolution television monitors, digital video decks, and sound editing equipment. Each workstation is equipped with Final Cut Pro, ProTools audio editing software, and Adobe Aftereffects for motion graphics and special effects. "

http://www.mica.edu/PROGRAMS/bfa/video/index.cfm?id=365

21. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Full Sail...

So I am graduating from high school in a little under 2 months and am still looking at my options. I have heard some good and a lot bad about Full Sail, does anyone here know anyone who went there? I might be flying down there next weekend for the April 9th tour and need to make a quick decision. I have taken several college courses on FCP, Art of Editing, DVD Studio Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Web design, and Graphic Design. My original plan was to move to NYC (where my dad lives) and try freelancing as a PA and maybe even a assistant editor for indie (low budget) films. I have been assembling a demo reel for the past year and am building a basic site at the moment to showcase my skills. I love creating motion graphics and also love to edit. Web design is my weakest point and I really only took some courses on it to be able to build/maintain my website. I should mention my high school payed for all of my 34 college credits and I was lucky to get as much done as I did. I know I will be paying back my loan for at least 7 years (on Full Sail), and I have heard job placement is pathetic at Full Sail. It would be nice to have good job placement, but I am confident that I can freelance after attending Full Sail. I like the idea of an accelerated program, but I have heard it really is too fast to pick up on most things. I am hoping the ones that complained about Full Sail were the noobs of the class. After looking on a college ratings site, I can't believe the amount of negative feedback. Also, is it a bad thing if someone takes the time to build a website on how bad Full Sail is?!? :eek: