College Student needs advice on G5 or imac 17" Intel

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rodion, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Rodion macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Location:
    Reno, NV
    #1
    Hi Everyone,

    I am double majoring in digital media (graphic design) and geography at UNR. I just recently purchased a Mac Mini G4 1.5ghz machine last November. And I also purchased Adobe CS2 suite and Studio 8 suite because I live pretty far from the university and I was having to stay late in the computer lab. So I purchased the educational versions of the software even though the prices on CS2 suite and Studio 8 were expensive. I have realized that the Mac Mini G4 isn't meant to be a design workhorse. So I was thinking about buying a refub powermac to run CS2 and Studio 8 or an Intel iMac 17". I know that Intel is the next thing and will be the future. I know that Adobe will release new versions of the software for Intel machines but I don't have the money to spend on upgrading the software for the CS2 and Studio 8 that I just bought. Should I just keep with my plans and buy a powermac or buy an imac 17" Intel? I would greatly appreciate your advice everyone. I know you guys can give me some great ideas. Thanks.


    Solution A
    Purchase Refub Powermac Dual 2ghz and use with current 20" monitor.

    Solution B
    Purchase new imac 17" Intel
     
  2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

    yankeefan24

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2005
    Location:
    NYC
    #2
    CS2 isn't universal and will never be. you'll have to wait for CS3.

    When are you going to school? Now? september?

    If you're going now, get the G5. If you go in september, if adobe announces when CS3 is coming out and it is soon, go for intel.
     
  3. Rodion thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Location:
    Reno, NV
    #3
    I am going to school now. Yeah if CS2 will never be universal I should just stay with the G5 powermac. I wonder if upgrading CS2 and Studio 8 will be expensive?
     
  4. Acehigh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2006
    #4
    Go with...

    Solution A
    Purchase Refub Powermac Dual 2ghz and use with current 20" monitor.

    Since you already have legal copy CS2 . You probably can use the g5 tower for a few more years with no problems.
     
  5. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Location:
    Northeast, CT
    #5
    Get the G5 if you have a monitor, dont get an Intel iMac yet either as yankeefan said CS2 isn't and wont be universal. If you are going to get anything get a refurb G5 iMac, or just the PowerMac. As for upgrading the programs you cannot upgrade an Educatonal version. You either have to buy the full pro release, or the new educational version.
     
  6. asencif macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2005
    #6
    Since you are in school now and are using all adobe products which include Macromedia then your only choice is really solution A. Unfortunately, everything points to Adobe going UB only with CS3 and not CS2, so that means that you will have to pay for a new version. There is nothing wrong with going with a PM G5 now. Just make sure you get some RAM; at least 2GB and you will be set. That machine runs Adobe CS 2 very well and you always have the option to expand it a bit. What really works too is that you already have a monitor.
     
  7. Rodion thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Location:
    Reno, NV
    #7

    Hi everyone,

    Thank you for all the great input. I will definitely go with purchasing a G5 Powermac and upgrade the ram to 2GB. I think the G5 with CS2 and Studio 8 will last me a couple of years. Again you guys are great!!!

    Thanks....
     

Share This Page