Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you were in college (or still are), what would you say is "in"? Select 1 or more.

• iPod

Votes: 81 38.6%
  • The Opposite Sex

Votes: 135 64.3%
  • Alcoholic Beverages (including beer)

Votes: 83 39.5%
  • Sleep

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Getting your education / studying

Votes: 44 21.0%

• Total voters

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In what can only be described as a stunning development, undergrad students have rated Apple's iPod as the most "in" thing (according to a Student Monitor study reported by the AP), eclipsing beer for only the second time in the study's 18 year history. 73% of the students surveyed rated the iPod as "in", while beer and social networking website Facebook.com garnered second place with 71%.

The last time beer was knocked from the top spot was 1997, when the Internet took top prize. The AP article is mirrored at CNN.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I never knew anyone at university to have drunk beer....they started with Absolut and went on from there.

I live in a campus town and the white headphones are so terribly ubiquitous that it makes me wish iPod were a tad less popular. It's hardly the music player for the rest of us--iPod has become the music player for all of us!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
?

Times do change....

Talk about socializing:
- "gonna have a beer with me tonight?"
- "nah, I'll be listening to my iPod this evening"

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
swingerofbirch said:
I never knew anyone at university to have drunk beer....they started with Absolut and went on from there.

I live in a campus town and the white headphones are so terribly ubiquitous that it makes me wish iPod were a tad less popular. It's hardly the music player for the rest of us--iPod has become the music player for all of us!

I remember back in 2002 when I was one of about five kids on campus that had white head phones. When we'd pass each other in the hall we'd give each other a nod, as if to say, "You are a freakin' stud. Sporting your iPod. The rest of the world doesn't know what they're missing." Well, I guess the rest of the world finally found out what they were missing and realized they needed to have it.

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
I still have that same iPod, by the way. Haven't purchased a new one. It's a 2nd Gen 10G that now sits in my car, plugged into my stereo. When I got it, it was only supported on OS X.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
mozmac said:
I remember back in 2002 when I was one of about five kids on campus that had white head phones. When we'd pass each other in the hall we'd give each other a nod, as if to say, "You are a freakin' stud. Sporting your iPod. The rest of the world doesn't know what they're missing." Well, I guess the rest of the world finally found out what they were missing and realized they needed to have it.

I got my first iPod fall of 2002 as well! I only knew two other people on campus with one.

How about a choice for admiring the same sex from afar?! lol.......

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
for me opposite sex and sleep. The ipod is nice but come on Girls and sleep. both are great things.

Sleep is really nice if one can get it. Last time I slept 8 hours 2 weeks ago. since then I am lucky to get 5 hours per 24 hours. *before that we are talking 3 months with little sleep there where other issues involved there.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
As a university student, I can tell you that beer and alcohol in general is far from "out." I have an iPod, drink, have a FaceBook and sleep.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Well drinking and dancing do go together hand in hand...so it all makes sense.

Sleep and bar hopping should be up there too though.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Someday maybe I'll understand the obsession with alcohol, but, come on... SLEEP ROCKS!

If you haven't voted, DO IT! This is important! Sleep is losing!

I have never even heard of Facebook, and their home page sure doesn't wow me. Is it that thing where you mash you face inside a book until it dries totally flat? (Or that might be some flower thing.)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
nagromme said:
Someday maybe I'll understand the obsession with alcohol, but, come on... SLEEP ROCKS!

If you haven't voted, DO IT! This is important! Sleep is losing!

That may be due to the fact that those people are in fact going about their favourite activity ;)

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
mozmac said:
I'm in college. I have an iPod, use facebook, and don't drink beer.

I'm in college. I have an iPod (3 in fact), use facebook, and I think beer is much, much cooler than iPods. If Steve Jobs invented something as cool as beer the world would be a better place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.