[College Students] So what are you doing during the summer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Summer is coming. And I got no idea what I'm going to do during the 3 1/2 months. And I need ideas.

So what are you guys planning on/thinking of doing this summer?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well i graduate with my BA in English in May, i will be working at a job for people that i used to work for, just in a different place etc, this summer it will be at Navy Pier in Chicago, pays reasonably well, im taking a year off of school to let my head unwind a bit, and then i guess thats about all i will be doing this summer, work and hanging out with friends, family and of course most importantly the Girlfriend

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Taking one more class and then I graduate, at which point you must all call me Master.

(Stupid MA degree, doesn't even change my name to Doctor... or ...Esquire or nothin'.)

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

for me my summer plans are
    Summer I to take Engish 1302 (about time I got around to it since after 4 years of collage I still have not touch it)
    and in Summer II to take Physic 2408 (Phys II cal based)

Kind of sucks have to burn my vaction from school like that but the trade off is I get a really light load for my last 3 semester for collage. So I basicly running hard though fall 05 but after that everything becomes easier

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Get your PHD, That helps! :p

6. j_appel macrumors member

I'll be taking summer school unfortunately. :( I'd rather be taking it easy and not worrying about school, but I'd like to get out of school as soon as I can, and summer school will help. It's only one class.

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

More classes... grr
    and working
    plus I should be able to get in more gaming time

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

nah. This is hard enough. Although I am jealous of one of my friends who has two PhDs. Doctor Doctor.

9. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Well, I should take a class or two so I might perhaps have some small hope of graduating on time, but instead I'm going to South America for a month :) I'm heading down to Patagonia to explore all the trails and little towns there. Other than that, I'll be home in San Francisco and maybe visiting some friends while they're still in school (the UC's other than Berkeley don't get out until mid-June :eek: ).

10. jcgerm macrumors member

I'm graduating with a BS in Computer Engineering and a BS in Computer Science this May, and I'm going to grad school for an MS in Electrical Engineering next Fall. I'm starting to get burnt out a little, so I'm taking most of the Summer off for fun stuff. 3 weeks backpacking across Europe, 1 week in San Francisco for WWDC, another week for a vacation to the beach. I'll probably work for 5-6 weeks somewhere in there too (my Apple stock is looking kind of bleek today). I just want to take it easy though.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well 3 days after finals I am going to Thailand for 3 weeks. 2 weeks with EF Tours and 1 week by myself (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, etc.). Taking two summer classes. I might venture to New York for a week and I had a friend call me last night and wanted to organize a trip to London in August before school starts. But the only thing confirmed are classes and Thailand so I'm excited.

jon

12. brap macrumors 68000

13. sarae macrumors 6502

a class or two, work, and wanting to travel (but probably not getting around to it).

14. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

-Working full-time for the Webteam at GVSU (my school). Except I get every weds. off :)

-Teaching 7 violin students

-spending some weekends weekends in Chicago

-spending time with the boyfriend

that about sums it up.

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

mow, trim, clip, mow, trim, clip, mow, trim, clip...........

Pack up the fam in the van go to the beach 2 times little over 1 week each.

Go to pool, come back then the mow, trim, clip thing.

Work, work, work, work................

Start finishing out the basement!

mow, trim, clip, mow, trim, clip, mow, trim, clip...........

oh yea, cookout, cookout, cookout.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

17. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Dudes. How do all of you afford to go travelling? AND graduate school too!

I'm poor enough as it is, and I have to save up so I won't be hit as hard by law school! :(

18. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

summer school. ew. gross. BUT, that'll allow me to go to France for a semester next winter/spring with ISA! whooo! :D

19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Let's see...

First I'm going to work in a mind-numbing office job until the end of July. Then I'm heading off to Norway to visit my girlfriend for three weeks (I couldn't get anymore than that... :( )

It should be a pretty good summer, though. :)

20. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Im pouring 5 years of savings, plus lots of my parents money into opening my own boba cafe. Its new to the IE and should prove to be quite the lucrative endeavor. I hope...

21. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Do you live near a campus? There are a lot around, but they keep being taken over by new companies. Good luck on yours.

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Working for hospital like usual
    Taking summer courses
    Taking summer MCAT class

23. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Not near any colleges, but Im in the center of a group of high schools. We have one Boba Planet close by (close by meaning in the next city), but I want to have one in MY city. And if i happen to own the only boba cafe in my city, there by cornering the market then yay for me. Hopefully I'll be central to 4 high schools and serving a growing asian and (hehe) hipster community.

PS Woo Who ! no longer newbie !

24. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Probably work a few days in the summer , other than that im a good saver so I have money I usually just drink everynight with my boys and write screenplays and film. Then sleep till about 2 and then lounge by my pool and wait to go out and have some drinks again. Drinking outside in the nice weather is good times

25. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Hopefully getting a summer internship for any of the local/national civil engineering firms (i'm a civ E major).

Got out 4 applications, sending another one out tonight (we have something called "Terp Online" = online Career Center, if you will). So we'll see. I'd like to get some real world experience, and the money never hurts ;)