College Trix

Discussion in 'Community' started by OutThere, Feb 10, 2004.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I took the PSATs (an I'm actually quite annoyed, because I thought the school would supply a calculator which they didn't and so I didn't finish the math, and I had to hurry through it at that, and I got a 1180. I have no clue what I would have gotten realistically.) and I'm getting all that crap too.

I pretty much already know where I want to go (University of Texas), but it is nice to see other options. But the primary method of college reasearch I, and everyone here I'm sure, use is the internet.

scem0

3. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Take them again. It does no harm if you do worse because they take the best scores from both. Sounds like you will do alot better, since you didn't even have a calculator and got an 1180.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

But is there any really big advantage to taking the PSATs? Do colleges look at my PSAT scores, or only at my SAT scores?

I didn't think much about my score being lower than it should, because I didn't think anyone would be looking at it. :(.

scem0

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

as far as I know, they only look at SAT scores, and many don't even look at those that hard anymore. writing a good essay, showing other involvement, AP and honors classes and probably more important for many schools. I know that true at my Alma Mater (UC Berkeley). I wouldn't retake the PSAT's unless you think you want the practice with the calculator. personally i found the PSAT's a waste of time, though I didn't study for the real one's either, and still did well.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm going to take a SAT prep course because I am relying a lot on my SAT scores to get into UT. My GPA isn't bad, 3.2/4.0, and it is going up now that I'm in easier classes, but it isn't superb. I'm in mostly regulars, I don't have an immense number or extracurricular activities, and I'm not in the top 10% of my class.

I do take classes at Austin's community college, and I hope that that will help me get in. I don't think I'll have too much trouble getting in.

scem0

7. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Good luck to you. Remember, if for some reason you don't get in where you want, it can be very worthwhile going to junior college and then transferring. I wouldn't have gotten into Cal out of highschool because I slacked there too much and my GPA wasn't particularly good (SAT scores were fine though). Went to JC, worked my butt off, and transferring in was very easy at that point. Even managed to get 4 classes to transfer into my major, 2 as upper division. Made it a lot less stressful, and it was a lot cheaper too. People set on a 4 year school sometimes forget the JC as a valid option.

8. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

The PSATs are very useful for two reasons.

1) They give you an idea of what the SAT's are like which can be very helpful come test day.

2) They are used for the National Merit Scholar competition of scholarships. With only a 1440 I was a semi-finalist. I recommend you take the PSAT twice, as a sophmore and a junior if at all possible. (they only look at your Jr year score)

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Good choice. You'll love it here. :cool:

Are you a junior or a sophomore? If you're a sophomore, you can take the PSAT again. If not, the only thing it really qualifies you for is scholarships. If you're not in the top 10% of your class, then SAT scores, and other things, like involvement in the community and participation in extra curricular activities. Whatever you do, though, just don't stop trying to get into where you want to go, and don't miss any application deadlines. I know several people who got screwed over by deadlines, or rather, screwed themselves because of the deadlines...

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

As to the multiple similar websites. It's not that unusual, for instance i work for a benefits administration company, and all of our clients that use web enrollment have websites based on the same original. in the end, it is a lot more convenient for the client... and less costly. more reliable as well.

paul

11. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I was a National Merit Scholar Finalist (not a national merit scholar) by doing well on my psats and getting a good sat score I was able to get accepted into several top schools even though I graduated from high school with only a ~2.5 GPA. It never hurts to take the psat over again I took it 3 times once in seventh grade, once my sophomore year, and again my junior year each time my score jumped substantially. Even if you don't get the National Merit Scholarship the national merit scholar program recognizes several thousand other students every year. If you are simply recognized (you get a crappy cardboard certificate) it increases your chances of getting into better schools and makes you a more likely choice for scholarships when you are compared against otherwise equally qualified candidates.

Just a suggestion for anyone trying to decide what college to go to, look into Emory University and Oxford College of Emory University. Emory is an exceptionally good school that's liberal with grants and scholarships, located in a wonderful city, that has a beautiful campus (depending on where you look), and has a great social atmosphere.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yeah I took the PSAT instead of football practice when I did it. My coach was mad and I had to rush through it to get out to practice. I scored an 1120 though.

I am dissapointed in my GPA this year. I had 2 Honors classes, and 4 regular. I got 2 As (one in honors class), and 4 Bs. That was a 3.75 i think.

My Spanish teacher (honors class) dropped me to a B because I did not have my book twice throughout the whole year. I had a 92%, and now I have an 89.3!

Its ok, I'm going to talk to the administration about it, that dumb ****.

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well at least your professor had a "reason" to drop your grade. My profs just assign random grades sometimes (at least that is what it looks like to us students)

I would try the admin. if the prof is new, but if (s)he has been there for a while, you are going to be out of luck. (just from my experiences)

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I didn't think you could take the PSAT in 7th grade. I thought you could only take it as a sophomore, and then as a junior, when it actually counts... I know lots of people mix up the PSAT and the SAT. The PSAT is not the Pre SAT. It's similar, but not the same, although they give you a SAT equivalent score.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When I took the PSATs (back in the 80s!) the primary reason was to qualify for the National Merit Scholarships.

Back then we didn't need no stinkin' calculators.

The SATs and the Achievements were the only ones used for admission and then only the highest one.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I kind of like the idea of being a national merit scholar, but I've already had my last chance, I'm a junior :(.

Oh well.

scem0

17. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

scem0- just a question. What do you plan/want to study at UT?

That's also something you want to look into, because different' schools within UT have different admissions requirements. The school of Business, Law, and Architecture are the hardest to get into, I think. Engineering is about normal, the College of Natural Sciences is a little easier to get into, and Liberal Arts is the easiest of all. I know I'm leaving out some schools here, but you will want to know what the specific college has set for their admissions guidelines.

I'm in the College of Natural Sciences, and getting in wasn't that hard, and there seems to be quite a few people here who weren't in the top 10% of their class, so it is possible to get in. My brother, on the other hand, is at the School of Business, and for automatic admission, you have to be somewhere in the top 2% of your graduating class, or else you have to have really good SAT scores, and show why you should be admitted. If all else, you can apply for a major in a different school than what you want to do, and then transfer over after taking care of your basic classes. The most popular here at UT seems to be Liberal Arts, Undeclared. These people either couldn't get into the college they wanted, or didn't know what they wanted to do, so by going Liberal Arts Undeclared, they were able to start out, and then transfer where they wanted to go a few semesters later.

So basically, just remember that getting into the university may be one thing, but getting into the college you want to for your major is another. Just work hard, and make that senior year look really good, and you won't have to worry about whether or not you'll get in to where you want to go.

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm not completely sure yet, but I want to study something computer related. I don't like programming, so not that. I was thinking maybe the more creative side of things like web design.

scem0

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Computer Science is not all about programming. There are things like theoretical computer science, which gets into the theories behind algorithms and stuff like that. Check out this page. http://www.cs.utexas.edu/home/research/areas.shtml It should give you a general idea as to what Computer Science has to offer. The only thing is that to get into CS at UT, you have to take several classes that involve quite a bit of programming (which reminds me, I've got an assignment to do :eek: )

There is also computer/electrical engineering, but that also involves programming in Assembly, C, and who knows what else. The CS department starts out with Java, but once you get into higher level stuff, it's not as much about the language, and more about theories and stuff...

If you like video stuff, there's the school of communication. They are a pretty good school, but once again, it's more about filmmaking methods, and not as much about using FCP...

Just remember, Computer Science is as much about computers as Astronomy is about telescopes...

20. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I'm a junior, and I plan to go to college in East Texas (though I've never lived anywhere near Texas before in my life). I feel rather disappointed, as I got my SAT results a few weeks ago, and though I got a good score, it was 110 points less than my PSAT score, which I had earned just a few months before. Scores certainly can change.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't know about communication. I've never been interested in it.

But my sister is part of the communication school at UT. You probably don't know her but her name is Abby McAfee.

My mom is set on me being an engineer though, an idea i'm not in total opposition of, but I don't really know what a computer engineer does. I'd love to be Jonathan Ive, but would it be plausible for a person out of UT to be able to get a job at apple, and climb the ranks like that?

I won't lie, money is very important. Another reason I don't like programming :).

I'm also taking a Cisco networking course, and supposedly if I get cisco certified I could get a good job as a network technician at a young age. Unfortunately, no one passed the cisco test last year, and few ever do (from my school at least).

I'd like to do something creative though. I think of myself as a creative person with a very free mind, a little twisted sometimes i guess :cool: :). That is what attracts me to web design, and computer design in general. I really enjoy flash and photoshop too.

Have I hijacked this thread or what? :p

scem0

22. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, the one school that sounds like it might be interesting for you is the business school. My brother is a MIS (Management Information Systems) major, and he does web and networking stuff. The only problem is getting into the business school...

Computer engineers pretty much just design the hardware. They work with low-level things, and do programming in assembly and some other higher level languages. Of course, they design computers for tons of different things, not just PC's.

On a note about being the next Jonathan Ive... That doesn't happen overnight, or right out of college either. If you look at most companies, the majority of the high level engineering and design jobs require several years of experience. I doubt you'd get a job working for Apple right out of college, but if you find a good job, and then work at that, you can get promoted up the line of another company, and while doing that, you'd be gaining experience, which is something you'd need to work at a company like Apple. Now you could get an internship, but that's whole other thing...

Now, for product design, I'm not too sure which school that would fit under. I think it might be some type of engineering. You just have to look around and choose what you thinks best suits you. The good thing about college is that if you don't like your major after your first semester, you have the option to change majors. I know people who changed majors 4 times before they finally found what they wanted to do. Heck, my dad was studying to be an electrical engineer before he switched to a degree in music, and he doesn't regret it at all. There are lots of things to do out there, and you really don't know what best suits you until you've tried different things, and found what you enjoy doing.

23. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Product design is Industrial Engineering or Industrial Design, depending on the aspect you want to focus on.

BEN