College!

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Aug 12, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

well lesse... i start college in a week (give or take) and im perplexed... im all for the social scene and what not but will put forth great emphasis on my study habits

so as you can see its mixed thing.. i figure thats normal considering the fact 4000 incoming freshman have no idea who each other are... my two "orientations" have come and gone and i must say i met some pretty cool people... mostly women lol.. who knew? "college orientations... the new hookup scene" and plus the free food was alright too i guess...

so its all got me thinkin.. that FIRST day of school.. anything i should do and shouldn't do? kinda like a do's and don'ts sort of thing? just lookin' for some warm hearted advice :eek:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

DO go to class.
    DON'T skip class.

DO do your work.
    DON'T be a lazy piece of ****.

DO realize that this is incredibly important and should be treated as such.
    DON'T figure you can make it up later and figure this is a social scene builder.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i would stop saying 'like' so often, it makes you sound much younger than i assume you are (entering first year of college)

other advice- be polite to everyone, and outgoing- you never know who you'll need help from in a class later, or when someone will be having a fun party that you'll want to go to.

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Have fun, make friends, be yourself and...

DO THE READING AS ITS SET!!

Leaving stuff till later will kill you quicker than a gallon of vodka.

Oh, and don't drink a gallon of vodka... :D

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

reading is overrated. I'm j/k... every student "works" in different ways; find what works for you. And by the way WinterMute, I personally haven't really had issues w/ vodka; it was the tequila that slaughtered me. I can't smell that stuff w/out a gag reflex now. :eek:

6. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

good point.. has been edited

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

oooh, buy used textbooks vs. new, even try shopping around-- some universities have multiple bookstores around and believe me, the prices can vary (I also really like half.com for textbooks)... keep the receipts in case you decide to drop the class.

I bring water, gum, mints to class so that if I start getting drowsy I can freshen up a bit.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CELL ON. I mean it, some profs will go "loc" (crazy, or short for Spanish's "loco") on you and it gets so old, so fast... I mean off, no vibrate mode because in some classes, that bzzz can feel ten times more annoying.

Always have good communication w/ your profs. Go to office hours. Ask! Ask! Ask! Open communication w/ profs pretty much ensures a sympathetic and caring person (who happens to also decide on your grade). I got 2 extensions on the major papers of my history class simply because my prof knew who I was, and because I asked nicely.

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I met my gf of 2 years at my college orientation. We are still together and doing great.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Join campus organizations/communities. Some are online (e.g., livejournal), some are interest-area clubs (e.g., basket weaving club every second Thursday), and some are location-based (e.g., dorm residents).

Get your books as soon as possible. Nothing's worse than finding the required textbooks are backordered and "everyone else" has them the first day of classes. OK, so maybe that's not the very worst thing that can happen to a student, but it's a good hint anyway.

If you are on the semester system, avoid getting sick. It's so easy to get behind if you miss a week of school. If you are on the quarter system, absolutely do not get sick!! How to avoid getting sick? You can try sheer determination, but taking care of yourself helps too. :)

10. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I definitely second the used textbook thing. Books can be REALLY expensive. In fact, I was so poor one semester and could barely come up with the dough to buys books, so I came up with some pretty sneaky ways to save lots of $ on books...

For example, if you have to read a novel or something that might be available in a used book store for a dollar or two, or better yet, in the library for free, try to get it there.

I wouldn't recommend this, because I think it's probably illegal, but I also went so far as to buy a couple of textbooks (the shorter ones) and go to Kinkos and copy them and put the pages in a binder, then return the textbook. Ended up costing about half as much as the book. But if you do go this route, be sure to check on the bookstore's return policy...

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you bring your iBook to class, yank out the airport card before you go.

I brought my iBook to class often first semester. My campus also has very good Wifi coverage. I'd be sitting there in a boring lecture taking notes in Word and would look up to see a wifi signal at full strength. And it was very tempting to pass time during a boring lecture on the internet. So, I didn't do so great in a couple classes because of that. Remove the airport card so you can't be tempted to go on the internet. Leave the card behind in your room, or even stick it in your bag if you plan on hanging out on campus later to use the internet. But being within range of a wifi network during class can hurt your grades if you're like me ;)

12. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

It isnt the airport card thats hurting me, its watching familty guy dvd's and Harry Potter in itunes that got me my B- in Psych.

13. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Leave your door open the first few days. And go out and visit people and introduce yourself, or else your entire first semester will be very boring!

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I thought that most universities require X number of textbooks to be on hand at the school's library(ies)? If you're really short on cash, then definitely, camp out at the library and get your reading done w/ those copies or, if you'll be in a dorm setting, borrow somebody's books (w/ his/her permission!).

That is illegal... that infringes upon copyrights etc. etc. That is also why those stupid paper photocopies called, "readers" that are the required "texts" for some classes cost so dang much-- because even though those are only photocopies, the money is going to the proper people because of copyright protection.

15. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yep, i agree about the reading. some professors you can get by without the reading. your'll just have to feel out the class. what that usually means is you will probably have to goto class and at least listen maybe occasionally write something do that is important. although if you one of those kids who can never go to class and get A's more power to you.

señor jose cuervo is not your friend.

16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    don't stress about stuff too much....as you said, there's 4000 other freshman wondering what the heck is going on.

show up early for class...you might get to say a few words with your new professor--which may help establish a relationship during the semester.

don't prejudge your professors or go by other's opinions of them...they don't know YOU either. I found I really liked some of the profs that everyone else hated...remember they're just people hoping to get some feedback that they're making a difference to someone. students can inspire teachers too.

and try to remember how incredibly fortunate you are to be attending college.

17. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah, though im sure that first day its gonna be quite awkward for everyone in class being that no one knows anybody else..

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ditto. Our RA's recommended leaving our doors open and I'm glad they did. I met many people that way.

There were some kids on the floor that kept their door shut 24/7. Even in May when it was the end of the year, they knew no one and no one knew them.

19. St Soichiro macrumors regular

From a Professor's perspective :D :

DO
    go to class
    turn in HW on time
    get to know your prof
    go to the office hours
    have fun

DONT
    leave your cell phone on (most Profs can pick out SMS/IM etc in class, but will ignore it. You do end up on their ****list however)
    haggle for a point or two
    piss away your parents hard earned money (or mine, if you are on a taxpayer-money-funded-scholarship)

Avoid all instances of academic dishonesty even if everyone around you seems to be doing it. More and more universities are coming down on this really hard, and it will be tough to explain to your parents why you have had to take a year off because you were caught copying in an exam.

Most professors are extremely approachable outside class. We're bored too, you know, teaching the same thing over and over again. If you are polite and respectful you can get a lot of help with course work.

20. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Actually, in some ways it's the opposite. Nobody knows anybody, so every single person you meet is a potential best friend.

21. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Like devilot76 said, find the strategy that works for you. The sooner you do, the more successful you'll be. Mine was to not take notes in class and just sit and listen and absorb. I found that if my profs wanted me to know something, they would include it on a handout, or it'd be in a text book, or it would be part of the homework. This REALLY worked for me. Also, I found that studying early in the morning, as opposed to late at night helped me do better on exams. Everyone is different. Take notes if it suits you better.

Take your classes seriously, but remember that at least 50% of everything you learn during the next 4-5 years will be things you discovered outside of class. Remember this, but don't use it as an excuse to loaf.

Get involved in clubs and organizations. Meet as many people as you can. Go to the games and be a part of the school.

Above all, remember this:

You can only do two of the following things successfully in college: study, sleep, party. Choose wisely. :)

22. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Don't be 15 minutes late to the first class of your college career because you read the schedule wrong... :rolleyes:

Do join the Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity. :D

Oh and do pay your bursar bill on time so that you can move in...unlike me...

You have taken your first steps into a larger world. Welcome to it.

Now you too will become educated enough to set the VCR without spilling piping hot gravy all over myself.

23. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I disagree. I did all my homework and went to bed around 10pm or 11pm on the weekdays and partied very hard on the weekend and I did just fine.

I suppose though I may be a freak.

24. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Hmm... I only really do one of those... is that bad?

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No no! Sigma Chi!