Colleges You Don't Want Your Kids to Attend...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by the_mole1314, Aug 25, 2005.

1. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Dang! Don't send your kids to Madison. They're on practically every list!

BTW, my school, the University of Chicago, is nowhere to be seen. I can remember people complaining when the library closed at 10:00 on Fridays.

3. davefan6435 macrumors regular

boooo ya thats my hometown!!! Madison is the best

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It depends...Washington & Lee is a tremendous school that ranks #2 in hard liquor. They definitely party hard, but they work harder.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

6. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

i was considering going to both Madison and Vermont...too bad i didn't, haha.

7. unfaded macrumors 6502

My school is number five on reefer madness, and I promise you that is completely accurate. If anything, it should be higher. No pun intended.

8. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Personally, I'd be least likely to send my kid to BYU.

If they had a category for creepiest college, BYU would win.

I'd much rather have my child drinking a little and fraternizing with the opposite sex than learning about how everything they've ever done or thought about was sinful.

BYU sucks.

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

This must be a list of accredited schools because Bob Jones University should be tops for all the 'Safe' stats. They don't even allow the co-eds on dates unless they have a 'chaperone'. :eek:

10. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Bob Jones is off the charts... Yikes!

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Yeah, they must be like -5 or something.

When I was in middle/high school my parents would joke they would send me to BJ if I screwed up. ;)

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

OH MY GOD! I can attest to how awful that school would have been. I went to a Christian High School here in Georgia, and they spent so much time trying to push BJ on us. I've been there twice for national fine arts competition. Its like a prision of sorts. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Haha, my Dad got a scholarship for football (quarterback) there in the 70s. He said he left after 6 months because every single night, the mormans would come and knock on his room and ask him if he would like to go pray with them.

He said he got so furious with it, he threw a knife at hte door and it went through, almost hit the guy outside.

Few months later, he played at University of Michigan. Liked that much better.

14. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Unless you're Mormon, or desperately wish to be so, avoid BYU like the plague. Dress standards are frighteningly modest (what's the point of wearing shorts if they MUST be below the knee?) and... well I'll refrain from injecting my views on the religion. Suffice it to say, I left for myriad reasons.

Take it from one who knows: I was born at home, in my parents' bedroom of their apartment at Wymount Terrace, the Married Student Housing complex for BYU. The Temple out one window, the Missionary Training Center out another, and out another, in the distance, a statue of Brigham Young. A freak nexus of Mormonism. :)

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

When I saw that Oberlin was #4 on the pot list, I was shocked.

but then I remembered what someone I (kinda) know who goes to oberlin is like.

Then, I wasn't so shocked anymore. :rolleyes:

But I don't like these lists-- My mom could see one "OMGWTFBBQ! The school you want to go to is #1 on the (insert vice here) LIST!! YOU'RE NEVER GOING!!11!!", even though I'd _NEVER_ touch the stuff.

I'm there to learn.

I'm not there to party, wake up, naked and cold in a dumpster in the middle of Canada, and not remember what happened the previous morning, and confused as to why I'm not in Texas anymore.

Paying $30k+++++ for college... wasting it is just economically unsound. And that gets a boo.

/getting a Ph.D in economics by I'm 30. (hopefully) *fingers crossed*
    //WATCH OUT, OPPENHEIMER, I'M COMING FOR YOUR CORNER OFFICE!!!

16. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

See, this is what the undergrad years are meant for!

Did it all in my undergrad years, and am now cracking down in my second year of my masters, with my doc to follow.

Trust me, have your fun before advanced degrees!

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

PC is #2 on the beer list and #9 on the hard liquor list. No surprise there. I'm rather surprised that the Univ. of Rhode Island isn't on any of them. It has quite the party school reputation around here...
    UMass Amherst is on a few too. It's where the URI party grads go to for extra study ;)

18. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Disappointed that neither of my schools made these lists...I must be boring--but not so boring as to make the goody-goody lists...

19. Dandaman macrumors 6502

haha, Pitzer College #5 on the reefer list. I went to one of the claremont schools. pitzer definitly fits that bill.

daniel

20. scubabeano macrumors member

scubabeano

haaha, look at the schools least likely to have marijuana:

1 United States Air Force Academy
    2 Brigham Young University (UT)
    3 United States Naval Academy
    4 United States Coast Guard Academy
    5 United States Military Academy

that's good cos those guys have a lot of guns...

21. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

No Denison University? My alma-mater!?

Damn you Princeton. Damn you.

22. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

every school is what you make of it. these lists are generally useless. :rolleyes:

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

of the two sets of lists, the "safe" one is by far scarier. I would never send my kid to fundamentalist/military schools (which nowadays tend to be one and the same).
    I'd rather deal with teaching how not to abuse 'pleasures' and use common sense than with institutional brain-washing

24. sarae macrumors 6502

I go to UW-Madison, and I'm not that surprised to see us up on top again... we're often high up on the lists. All I can say is a lot of the student body is happy for the ranking, as are some of the alumni. :D

25. guifa macrumors 6502

I'd be interested to know how the compile these. How neither Ole Miss nor Alabama got on the ranking for greek life surprises me —*I'm not greek at all, but greek life is more important and influential on campus at them and "bigger" so to speak than any other school I've ever seen. Unless they're doing it proportionally in which case small schools would probably end up in the lead. We used to be the top party school (Alabama) but because of some new laws, all the parties have gone underground and so aren't reported, but in comparison to every other school in the area I've visitted, we still have the biggest party scene. I can barely drive home every night to my apartment because there are so many house parties every night in all the residential areas around campus.