Color Calibration

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Smileyguy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

I'm planning to buy a color calibrator for my new monitor. Rather than asking 'which one to buy', I want to ask a general question about calibrators. So here goes...

If someone has a really good color calibrator, is there any need for a color accurate monitor? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if you want to do color accuracy work but have an average quality LCD that isn't great for colour, is it enough to just buy a calibrator to get accurate colors?

Am I making sense? Maybe not...

2. gangst macrumors 6502a

I can see what your saying, but I think if you just buy a hslf decent display and a good callibrator, youl find that colors which are hard to produce,may seem blurred or overbright, as your display will be producing colors which are unnatural to it

3. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll have to save for a bit and splash the cash...

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You are probably better off ensuring you've got the right ICC/ColorSync profile installed and activated for your existing monitor, spending some time & effort setting up your apps in the workflow correctly and putting any extra money towards a decent printing solution for hard-proofing.

Also, ensure that no strongly tinted light spills onto the screen. A monitor hood, although ugly, can be invaluable...

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice BV,

So, you think I should keep my exisiting monitor and spend my time/money on calibration/hard proofing?

Can you recommend any reliable, affordable hard proofing solutions?

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Without knowing exactly what your current monitor is it's hard to say... :)
    Affordable is highly relative. What kind of work do you do that demands accurate proofing?

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I would also recommend this book.

Run through it and it will help you get the most out of what you've got.

8. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I need color accuracy for landscape & wildlife photography. I want to sell shots to magazines and to the general public.

I don't actually have a monitor at the moment. I want an LCD, can't stand CRT's. What I'm debating is whether I need to splash out on a top of the range one, or I can just just buy a more regular priced one with a calibrator.

At the moment I'm strongly leaning towards the last generation 20' Apple Display. It looks gorgeous, is SWOP certfified for colour accuracy, and is fairly affordable these days.

However, If I could trust it for colour or buy a good calibrator, I would be very tempted by this:

http://mail.formac.co.uk/webapp/products_displays_1900_oxygen.php

If I knew I could get good colour accuracy out of it by buying the screen now (It's quite cheap) and then perhaps waiting a month or two until I've got some more money and buying some calibration and hard proofing tools.

What do you think?
    Thanks for all the help by the way...

9. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

watch out with calibrators...

I use the Gretag Macbeth EyeOne with my screens, on the 'newer' 17 Dell monitor I have (CRT) it works perfectly
    but I have an old Beige 20" from apple and it doesn't work it gets way too magenta, so I calibrate that one with the built-in util with OSX and got it quite good (a little 'colder' than the 17" but good enough) still saving for LaCie Monitors... maybe 2 19" crt's because they're quite cheap but its possible I will save more money to get one 21,3 LaCie TFT wich is great for color (Eizo has one too but the price is a little more and the specs are equal) and get a cheap 17" as second screen for tools...

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think the Oxygen range of Formac LCDs are aimed at low to medium end video work...

I've also been considering getting a Formac screen but am looking at the Gallery Extreme range, for two reasons: one, Formac do a calibration kit for it that seems reasonably priced.

And two, (I'm only guessing that you are in the UK because you linked to the UK Formac site) Dabs are doing a great deal on that monitor at the moment.

11. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in Ireland. I'm really trying not to break the €600 mark, €500 would be ideal. That may be pushing things but I reckon If I keep my eyes open I can get what I want for that price.

I must admit that looks are important to me, and I really don't like the look of the Gallery Xtreme. The black just doesn't compliment my desktop, hence why I was looking at the others.

I still think an Apple Cinema display will be my best option.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You're probably right then in that case... although I think you mean the Studio display. Didn't know they were that cheap... unless you wanted to find a second-hand one.

A UK forum-member was selling a 17" one here for about UK£375 (550€) recently... I was interested for a while as you will read, I didn't buy it in the end... too small.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=108134

13. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah I'm going for a 20'. They can go for about $800US, which is about €600, but I reckon If I keep my eye on some ebay powerseller auctions I could pick it up for a bit less.

Thanks for all the help. If you get the Gallery Xtreme give me a PM and let me know what its like.