Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
I know this has been asked before in previous version of Mac OS but I was wondering if this is changed for lion.

I'm new to Mac in general. I just discovered the colour coding option and thought it was pretty neat. I wanted to use it to colour code my downloads directly mainly because when I download journal articles (PDF) they get put into the same directly as where my torrents and general file downloads go.

Is there a way to globally set a label so that any file with a .pdf extension gets a red label, all torrent files get a blue label and all avi/mp4/mpeg get a green label (colours don't matter, just using them as examples).

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I've been looking into apps that perform several automated filing functions including color coding. Hazel and AutoFiler are the two I'm deciding between

Can either of those duplicate files? for example I'd like the features of moving my movies and so on, but I am a torrent user so I wouldn't want to remove the file from a completed torrent because it'd stop seeding and be broken. If either of these programs could copy the movie file instead of moving it, i'd be sold!

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
Can either of those duplicate files? for example I'd like the features of moving my movies and so on, but I am a torrent user so I wouldn't want to remove the file from a completed torrent because it'd stop seeding and be broken. If either of these programs could copy the movie file instead of moving it, i'd be sold!

I'm leaning more toward Hazel, and that one does have the option of copying files, not sure if AutoFiler does.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
I installed Hazel but in terms of colour coding files it seems to be having issues. I set it to colour code all the files in my iTunes media folder to blue. I just wanted to test the color-coding ability. I set al files in [iTunes Media] folder with extension [.mp3] to colour label [blue]. That didn't work.

Then I changed it to all files in that folder with kind = [music] colour label [blue]... still nothing.

I set it to colour label all .pdf files in my downloads folder to red and it worked right away. It also copied files in my downloads folder that were smaller than 600mb to a "TV Shows" folder right away. That worked well also.

Not sure why the iTunes colour coding won't work....although so far I am relatively happy with it's other functions.

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
I installed Hazel but in terms of colour coding files it seems to be having issues. I set it to colour code all the files in my iTunes media folder to blue. I just wanted to test the color-coding ability. I set al files in [iTunes Media] folder with extension [.mp3] to colour label [blue]. That didn't work.

Then I changed it to all files in that folder with kind = [music] colour label [blue]... still nothing.

I set it to colour label all .pdf files in my downloads folder to red and it worked right away. It also copied files in my downloads folder that were smaller than 600mb to a "TV Shows" folder right away. That worked well also.

Not sure why the iTunes colour coding won't work....although so far I am relatively happy with it's other functions.

I'm not sure since I haven't played with it much myself yet, but I think what is happening is it only performs actions in the folder specified, not sub folders of that folder.

----------

Seems to me there should be a way to do this with Automator and folder actions.

Is there a way for Automator to do things differently for different file types? If so this would be a good solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.