Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
Hello :)

When you "right click" on a file in Finder or on your Desktop and the drop-down menu pops up, there are options........I was wondering what the "Color Label" option is for? Also, under it is this "Automator" option also. Any idea what function the Color Label and Automater options possess?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
You can label any file or folder with a color, for many purposes. For example, some people mark all current projects so they can easily see what needs working on.

Automator allows you to automate various tasks. When you create workflows you can call them from the Automator option.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
You know, you could always click it and find out :) I can't understand why people are so afraid to try things out, I'll admit I haven't touched Automator yet, but when I first got my mac I was all for trying things out, trying to find what they did. The extra cable that's for the power adaptor, I tried that out, it's all learning.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
You know, you could always click it and find out :) I can't understand why people are so afraid to try things out, I'll admit I haven't touched Automator yet, but when I first got my mac I was all for trying things out, trying to find what they did. The extra cable that's for the power adaptor, I tried that out, it's all learning.

Exploring is the Mac way and some people take to it rapidly. It comes from knowing that the OS will not let you blindly do things that will damage anything or that can't be undone.

People who grew up on PC's, where much is not obvious, where things are hidden behind right clicks instead of being in menus and where a DEL *.* could wipe your whole computer are naturally fearful. Microsoft's philosophy has always been that you should understand what the computer wants rather than the other way around. They are better now, but only because they are copying better ideas.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions SoldOut Matinee, but perhaps a good book would help you. I suggest something by David Pogue. Best wishes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.