Color spinning wheel won't go away in Mac Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonMovieGuy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I just got my imac 21.5 a week ago, and now already a problem. It was working fine until now.

I have been copying and pasting pictures and avatars from forums onto Microsoft office (office mac 2008). And tonight I got the dreadful color spinning wheel when I tried to copy more. I wouldn't go away after 10 minutes, so I restarted the computer. I reopened office, and it still had the wheel. It keeps saying it has to close. Why is this happening? Is it bad to copy and paste?

I do have Apple care protection- how late do they take calls?

2. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why don't you just drag and drop the images into a folder?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont know how. Ive tried making folders with simple pictures, but the computer thinks its a document, and asks how I want to save it.

4. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. macrumors 65816

Velin

Are you running Snow Leopard? If so, make sure you've run all the Office 2008 updates -- there's at least four of them, if not more, that you need to download and install in succession.

Also, what someone else said -- save to a folder. Office's picture and image handling has always sucked.

PS if you are using Powerpoint, you should check out Keynote, in the iWork suite. It is superior to Powerpoint in many, many respects.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that was awesome- thanks!

7. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

8. macrumors member

9. macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Welcome to the Mac fam and the forum!

Office is notorious for eating memory. Check activity monitor and see how much memory Word uses and how much memory you have available. You may be running out, thus causing sluggish performance.

Good luck

Habitus :apple:

10. macrumors 68040

Just a sidenote to offer, AppleCare doesn't help with 3rd-party software unless there's signs that suggest there's an underlying issue with the OS, i.e. same issue with multiple applications, Apple and 3rd party. Their U.S. hours are 6am-6pm PST 7 days a week. Hours may differ during holidays of course.

It's possible that Word may be trying to open the last active file. If you clear the caches in ~/Library/Caches/Microsoft Office, what happens?