Colorado Democrats throw away Senate Seat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Durandal7, May 23, 2004.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'm sorry to say that the Democrats in Colorado have derailed their chances at picking up a seat in the United States Senate. The Colorado Democrat state convention was yesterday and the Democrats decided to choose an almost certain loss instead of a certain victory.

A little background:
    On March 3rd Republican Sen. Campbell surprised the state by announcing that he would not be seeking re-election. The Colorado senate seat was suddenly in play. Our State Attorney, Ken Salazar, announced his candidacy and was a virtual shoo-in for the Democrats. Salazar is a moderate with a long record of serving our state and would have enjoyed considerable support from both sides. Salazar's only opponent in the convention was Mike Miles, a former school administrator whose main platform is raising school taxes, a classic liberal.

The results of the convention:
    Miles: %51
    Salazar: %49

The Democrats have thrown away their chances in this state by running a candidate with platforms that will be very unpopular outside of the party. They have also de-railed an excellent public servant. The only plus side is that we get to keep Salazar as attorney general.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I guess it depends. The voters in Colorado seem pretty smart. The turned down Unz on his CO version of CA prop 227. Raising taxes for school isn't always bad. It depends on how much money is already in education and how much is needed. If what is available is pretty low the parents may be happy to pay a little more in taxes in order to get a better education for their children.

3. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

We do vote for school tax increases when they are needed. Miles supports universal tax increases. Tax increases are a tough sell in this state and public schools are a tricky subject.

The main point is that it is very doubtful that the Democrats can win this states. I am very dissapointed as Salazar has a long record of serving the people of Colorado.

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is too bad.

I'm curious: Were you aware of the bill that would outlaw bilingual ed and its defeat in CO? I'm curious how it was defeated, because MA passed it :rolleyes: and hopefully it will eventually be overturned either by the US Supreme Court or voters in CA.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have a primary on August 10th? Aren't candidates for offices chosen by open primary in Colorado? If so, then the endorsement of the state Democratic Convention is just that - an endorsement. I can't believe in a Democratic primary vote Salazar will lose to Miles.

edit: from what I can find out, at least on the GOP side, a candidate must receive 30% of the vote to be placed on the primary ballot. If the same is true for the Democrats, the only thing the vote you cite means is that both Miles and Salazar will be on the ballot. No shock there. Still looks like a Salazar vs. Coors race in November to me.

edit 2: yup, I'm right, they are both on the ballot. It is a mild upset that Miles got more votes in the convention, but it won't be duplicated in August. Miles isn't a bad guy and this may help him in his pursuit of another office, but he is not winning the vote on August 10th, unless miracles happen.

Denver Post