Colorado's Statewide Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lyle, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

A colleague from Colorado mentioned this story this morning:
    The list of exceptions was interesting to me:
    I wonder why they decided to exempt small businesses (and how they define small businesses)?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yes, I plan on starting total anarchy here in Colorado. Once again the neo-conservative-anti-anything-that-gives-you-choice establishment has decided the fate of many.

Many bars and businesses of the like will go under because of this. All because people insist that they have more of a right in a sports bar or restaraunt than smokers. Once again, if it's a smoking establishment, and you don't like smoke, don't go. It's simple.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sigh- although many people will be behind this, I still feel it establishes bad precedent. The nanny state strikes again. :rolleyes:

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Once again, if it's a non-smoking establishment, and you like smoke, don't go. It's simple.

:confused:

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

And I don't go to them.

Why should all of these places that already cater to smokers have to change because a bunch of whiney little bitches want their way?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, there won't be any choice soon.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One of the rationales behind these broad indoor smoking bans is that the people who work in these establishments have to breathe the second-hand smoke, so it has also become a workplace safety issue. Yes, I'm aware of the counter-argument -- but also that it's never caught fire, so to speak.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This argument was raised and proven false in the states with indoor smoking bans. Apparently the number of people who will stop drinking if they can't smoke at the same time is rather small.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Where I live they banned smoking in establishments that primarily serve food over alcohol. People complained but thus far businesses have seen more people going to restaurants according to "the journalists".

10. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

This is absolutely not true. My brother part-owner of a Sports bar in Ontario, Canada. When they enacted the smoking bans bar owners across city in which he is located were yelling the same thing, "we're gonna go out of business". Fast forward to today, a few years later. His bar is doing better business than it ever has. They have see an increase of more than 20%. 20% is a staggering number. People are going out who previously never did. They are also saving money on the upkeep of their building. Only one bar has closed since the ban. And it had absolutely nothing to do with the smoking laws.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's something in the article that confuses me:
    is this a ban on smoking in public areas or everywhere? for example, can people smoke in their homes and cars? the family farm exemption strkes me as odd.

12. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I'm just a little surprised that it's Colorado... they aren't exactly THE HEALTH CONCIOUS STATE in my mind... that's California, Washington, or Oregon. The Pacific Northwest is where I'd expect this from.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well the writing is on the wall... I'm REALLY glad I quit smoking after 20 years just 6 months ago.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Apparently, you've never been witness to the Independant Republic of Boulder. People there are crazy. The yuppies and vitamin-pushers rule that city with an iron fist. Yet I do agree, it's odd for place such as this.

As far as I know, I can still smoke in my car, and in my house, but I can't go to a sports bar, smoke, drink, and watch a hockey game with collegues and friends and have a good old time just like I have since... forever.

I will protest this every chance I get. A letter to Mr. Owens will be going out in the mail every day for the next month.

A lot of the bars around here make a ton of money off of cigarette sales. "Run out of smokes? We've got em for 4 bucks a pack!" A rediculous price, but people pay it.

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4 dollars a pack of cigs, christ when i rarely rarely ever smoke packs are easily over 5 dollars.

And the people selling them make almost zero profit on it due to the taxes.

16. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

As best I can tell from the other reporting on this story, it's only banned in public places and businesses. I agree that it's unclear from this particular article. I wonder if the "family farm" exemption is necessary because a family farm is considered a business, but a business that the lawmakers didn't want to subject to this law?

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and that makes me wonder about all the other businesses run out of the home.

18. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Those would presumably be covered by the exemption for "small businesses", although as I noted earlier, I'm wondering exactly what's covered under that description.

I'm not a smoker, and I don't live in Colorado, so this story's only interesting to me in terms of what precedent it sets for other states. I am of the opinion that as long as smoking is legal in the U.S. there's no need for lawmakers to ban smoking in restaurants and bars -- if your restaurant allows smoking, I simply choose not to go there. It really is just that easy.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ah, right.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, but as IJ says, it's a clear health hazard to employees.

I am a smoker and having lived in WA state and CA all my adult life, the idea of smoking inside is completely foreign to me. WA began to ban public smoking in the early 80s and CA banned it quite awhile ago.

Last summer I drove through WY and a bunch of places had these huge signs outside saying they were tobacco friendly. It was honestly like being on another planet. Even though I smoke, I hate being in smoke-filled places, especially when I'm eating. Although it's a hassle going outside for that cig sometimes, it's far preferable to coming home smelling like a dirty ashtray. Since fewer Americans are smoking I don't think it's unreasonable to ban it in most public places. It's not a matter of rights but a matter of health. It's that simple.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

California already bans smoking in most public, indoor spaces. Has done for at least a decade. The great hue and cry over the loss of "smoker's rights" lasted maybe a month or two. Now it's difficult to imagine a time when people could expose others to the noxious fumes that they foolishly choose to inhale.

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

At the same time, Colorado is an "At Will" employment state. Which means that if an employee feels that the environement they work in should be non-smoking, their employer can terminate them, without giving reason. This goes with anything, though. An employer in the state of Colorado can fire an employee for any reason, any time, and not explain themselves. (However, this could possibly subject them to legal action from the terminated eomployee for descrimination, etc.)

The reasoning of "do not attend" is not only realistic for patrons, but possible employees as well. If you are that worried, then don't work there or ask to work the non-smoking section only.

Most restaraunts here in Colorado are non-smoking, or at the very least have a sectioned off smoking area where giant filters and ventilators carry the smoke out of the venue through the roof.

The bars are not this way. But whether you go get Sushi or a good steak, you will find the sctions divided appropriately, if there's smoking allowed at all.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They define small businesses as any business of less than three employees. That is, only one or two employees. Wow, I wonder how many of those there are in Colorado.

24. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

this is really interesting. In Lexington Kentucky (where I live) we have a smoking ban. Even in cigar shops, bars, and eateries of all types. Seems stupid to ban it from cigar shops of all places, also, KY is a huge producer of tobacco which makes it even more odd....:rolleyes:

But I really hate smoke so...

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You need to change your mind then. The State of Colorado (and its cities) are consistently ranked as having some of the healthiest populations in the Union.