Coloring MacBook withour Colorwarepc?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maximumbarkly, May 22, 2006.

1. maximumbarkly macrumors member

A friend of mine is buying a White MacBook. She desires it to be hot purple, but doesn't want to pay the 400 dollar colorwarepc premium. Is there anyone else out there that performs this service?

no, I don't want to do this myself.... no time.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You could take it apart, and I've heard automotive paint works very, very well. Just don't mess up...MacBooks parts aren't readily available like the Powerbook/iBook parts are.

3. _Matt macrumors 6502

Color a brand new shiny MacBook hot purple? But why?

Your friend scares me.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably too ashamed to admit it is for themself.

I know I would be, if I asked for a paintjob on my MacBook.

5. maximumbarkly thread starter macrumors member

She's a woman.... Who likes hot purple. That's why. Anyone know of a professional solution in non-jepg form?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ask Manny, Moe, and Jack ...

They have cans of automotive spray paint, if you like a car color -- that is a starting point.

And at $25, it is a lot less expensive.

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Go to a company that makes static cling decals. Buy a sheet big enough to cover the MB, then cut and fit it yourself.

If you could find heat shrink material in the right color that might work as well? Just make sure that ports, fan openings are not covered!

just two possible options

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The 3M stuff that is used everywhere is also an option.

Since it is printed there should be quite a few options in color and design.

And it is usually inexpensive enough that people use them as disposable scratch shields.

9. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

if she really wants it purple, spend the $400 and get it done right. the colorwares even have the same warrantee.

If she's not willing to pay that, then she should consider living with it white. I don't recommend pissing away a warrantee on a $1000+ laptop, especially a rev. a

10. maximumbarkly thread starter macrumors member

aye... words of wisdom.

If colorware offers a warranty then that might should be fine for her. She makes a lot of money so it shouldn't be a problem. I wish she made enough money to buy me a macbook... but no... I have to sell my stock to do that... AAPL stock cashed in to buy AAPL products. Win-win.

11. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

If you have colorware do it after you've bought at MBP does that void its warranty?

12. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yes, it voids your warranty from apple, just like buying it new would. a new colorware pc comes with an equivallant warranty from colorware; as for one that isn't new, i don't know. go to their site and read their policies is all i can suggest. :cool:

13. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I wonder why it would void my Applecare warranty... thats no fun...
    ColorwarePC's waranty sucks only 2 years and i'm sure its not like Applecare...

I wonder if I bought a MBP and then sent it to colorwarepc if I could then buy the Applecare after it so it wouldn't be void.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

external paint does not void the warrenty, though if you take it apart and paint the inside they may complain, for example you can write in permanent marker on the thing and not void the warrenty and this holds to external paint as long as none go's inside.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

applecare isn't enthusiastic about servicing machines that got a paint job.
    lucky me the only colors I would be considering are grayscale and black, so $150 for a black macbook is a steal compared to colorware's $350 that doesn't include the keyboard or touchpad :(

16. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Well isn't Colorware just paiting the outside, so essentially the warranty should still be?

17. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

What do you mean they aren't enthusiastic?

And yeah I wish I had that luxury but I want a MBP and I want it to be a glossy black or metalic black like a car.

18. conditionals macrumors regular

When is colorware going to get its act together and develop the "technology" to colour the keys and trackpad?