ColorSyncing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 7on, Mar 19, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Basically I want to print stuff and have it come out looking like the original :D

I have a 1Ghz Tibook, 10.3.3, a Canon i860, an external CRT, Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign, and a HP 5300C through VueScan. I've played around with some of the .icc profiles (mainly finding all of Adobe's defaults and my Printer's built-ins) and copying them to my ColorSync/Profiles folder in my user library. I have gotten good results printing in RGB through the printer using the Graphic Black ink, aside from being a little too light. However, CMYK is really off. In fact, can consumer printers even print in CMYK correctly? It's not a terribly bad deal, I'll just have to keep converting back and forth. ANyways, are there any ColorSync tips or ways anybody knows how to get everything to look the same?

(I do run the CRT and LCD at about half brightness due to headaches)

2. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

7, what you're looking for is called "WYSIWYG" (What You See Is What You Get) and is almost impossible to achieve. What you see on your monitor is RGB (I know you know this already but I thought I would explain anyway) What you're trying to print is a CMYK converted representation of a color gamut you can not achieve. CMYK is additive color, RGB is subtractive color. CMYK is used in printing physical hard copy and RGB is used to watch TV and computer monitors. You can get your monitor calibrated so as to get close to what the original is and (if you get head aches then your ambient lighting should be adjusted, or get glasses), and as you are doing create your own icc profiles. The thing to do is make a color patch sample in photoshop and print it to your Ink Jet at as high a quality as possible on quality paper. After calibrating monitor and adjusting the color in photoshop you can play back and forth until you get what you want. Or you can try here:

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/Source/Gm.asp

good luck

3. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, I checked all my printer's factory profiles and all it seems to have is RGB profiles. I also fond that my Photoshop text says something to the effect that consumer printers use RGB and for press output use CMYK. My professor said to use US Prepress Defaults when printing to the campus laser so I was just trying to get my dorm setup managed well enough. Thanks for the link too.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Hey whats the lock icon on your application bar in your desktop picture?

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I find it odd that you're having any issues with color matching as that is one of the things macs have always been the best at.