Combat flight sim

Discussion in 'Games' started by AppleMatt, Jun 22, 2004.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

All,

Anyone know of a good combat flight sim? I've tried a few a couple of years back but all were disappointing, took ages to get into the actual game and there was no-one to kill

AppleMatt

2. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'll assume you're talking about OSX...

You've got a variety of choices here, although somewhat threadbare. Online games include Warbirds 2004, Dawn of Aces, Target Rabaul, Target Korea, Target Flanders (not sure if this is out; all the Targetware games are in open beta, you may or may not be able to play, I haven't tried yet) and WWII Online.

Updoming games include Battlefield 1942 (July release), Operation Iraqi Freedom (if GraphSim can ever get off their butts and release this game) and Enemy Engaged (ditto for Feral, although I've heard they're recently switched the programming team on this title).

Warbirds has a "decent" offline version, I'm still trying to master basic air-to-air against the AI. It's been a long time since I've flown and trying to get back into the swing of things.

Also, Falcon 4.0 "can" run in Classic, although from what I understand will take some work on your part. Certainly worthwhile if you've got the time. If you do a search online, you should be able to find some assistance.

Not sure about A-10 or F-18, if those will run in Classic, but I will get around to trying those. A-10 especially.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Check versiontracker. One of my buddies told me about a patch that allowed Falcon 4.0 run natively under OSX. He said there was a thread on here about it, but I don't have the link anymore. He had emailed it to me, but I accidently deleted his email. But if you do a search, or go to versiontracker, you might find it.

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

6. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Cool, thanks for all the replies. I'd been looking at Battlefield 1942 a few days ago, it seems good but the only problem were the "old" planes. If gameplay makes up for it though, it won't be a problem.

All the others (Warbirds 2004, Dawn of Aces, Target Rabaul, Target Korea, Target Flanders) I'll try and give a go...

AppleMatt

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This game isn't quite what you were looking for, if following your original post. BF1942 does have planes in it, and as the name implies they are distinctly from the World War II era. But it is not a flight sim. You can fly around, dog fight with other planes, drop bombs on hapless land bound targets and such, but BF1942 is geared more towards cooperative conquering then flight-simming.