Combining a .M1a file back with a .M1V file?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, Feb 5, 2003.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok im trying to transform my mpeg files into movie files but i keep losing the sound so I broke the mpeg down into two seprerate tracks. Now i'm just having a hard time reattaching the two.

Has anyone successfully done this? I'm trying to do it in quicktime but i the cut and paste options arent availible. Only add and add scaled light up under edit. Any ideas?

Tyler

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You will need Quicktime Pro in order to do this.

1. Open the converted mpg file.

2. Make sure that the video is at the beginning and no "chunk" is selected.

3. Add the audio by choosing 'Add Scaled' from the Edit menu.

4. Save the file (make sure you rename it). NOTE - the file will be only a few kB since it's just a reference to the separate tracks.

3. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok i've tried that but when i add scaled to the m1v file and have the m1a file copied all i get is the video with a black bar saying the name of the m1a file and no audio. What the hell am i doing wrong?

Attached Files:

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I didn't realize this, but I think you have to convert the m1a file to aiff. Don't worry, iTunes will be able to do this for you. Just modify the import preferences to do AIFF and you'll be OK.

I think that might be the solution for you.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Don't be offended by this, but sometimes, even with Quicktime Pro, some MPEG-1 files are a whore on spikes to edit.

If you separated the audio and video through the program bbDEMUX, you should have a .m1v file and a .m1a file. If you are having consistant problems, convert the file with iTunes to AIFF, mp3, whatever (I recommend approximately 160Kbps, as this will save time for the final step). You may also need to convert the .m1v file to MPEG-4, .mov or another type. Do so using a very high level of output quality, but not so much you end up with a rate of 40MB per minute.

nce you have converted the audio and video, open each in Quicktime. Copy the audio to the video, and save the final as a "self-contained movie". This might fix the problem, although I haven't encountered such a situation.