Combo drive and iBook Screen questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lactocrit, Jan 26, 2004.

1. lactocrit macrumors newbie

I've never quite figured out whether the hardware zone lock on the combo/super drive actually works. Some say with the right software you by-pass everything, some say you need a hack.

Apparently, to get a dual-mon (I hope you understand what I mean if I used the wrong word) function on iBooks you need a hack too.

Anyone mind sharing the facts? The last time I came across these hacks, they weren't for the current line of Apple laptops, by the way.

A bit of whining... Don't they realize how stupid it is to lock the DVD zones? Just think of it, some guy who travels around decides to buy a DVD to watch on his laptop when he's on holiday. Basically, he's not allowed to do that. Ultimately these kind of short-sighted thinking on the part of movie studios is going to drive more people to the pirate stuff.
    (I know I'm over-simplifying things but hey, there has to be a better solution.)

2. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Re: Combo drive and iBook Screen questions

I've forwarded your post to a MacBuddy in UK to see if he knows.
    Might help us understand where you are coming from (literally) if you disclosed your "Location" and your "Computer" in your MacRumors "Profile For lactocrit" (just click on your name to update your profile).

Are you saying that there is a hack for old G3 iBooks and you need one for your G4 iBook so you can play DVD software from any Zone? (US, UK, NZ, Japan, EU, Mexico, etc.)

So, part of your Background is that you travel a lot?

I like to play DVD movies from my collection on flights using BOSE noise cancelling headphones, works great. Can't understand why you need multi-zone capability unless you stay in foreign ports for extended periods and use other people's DVDs from anothe Zone; right?

3. lactocrit thread starter macrumors newbie

For a moment I thought I got myself into trouble.

Actually, I'm from Hong Kong. It's very likely that I'll be studying in the States/Australia in the near future. Not being able to play DVDs I've bought from two zones on the same computer is simply stupid if you ask me.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The DVD lock has nothing to do with Apple. It's required by the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America). There are movements to try to get the MPAA to realize that the region codes and locks are a joke and releasing movies region by region only promotes piracy instead of deterring it.

Check XLR8yourmac.com for information on dual monitor support for the iBook.

5. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Hong Kong "fragrant harbor", Pearl of the Orient, gateway to commerce in China

Now I understand, and could not agree with you more. Movie Software Executives are far too paranoid!

Love Hong Kong, great shopping in Kowloon, wonderful food aboard the giant resturant boats in the harbor and atop the Imperial Hotel, driving the winding road above the city to view the whole island, the "new territories", and the harbor below day or night, riding the Star Ferry, visiting Aberdeen to see the boat people. I'd love to visit the Pearl of the Orient again. I truly miss China.

What kind of studies, lactocrit?
    Where (which school) would you like to continue your education?
    How do you use your Mac in school or work?
    Do you make iMovies, burn DVD's with iDVD or Toast?
    Tell us a little about yourself...update your Profile. (no, no trouble) ;) Enjoy!
    And, WELCOME to MacRumors forums!

6. performand macrumors newbie

I think it's not only the MPAA, but movie publishers in other parts of the world as well (i.e. European publishers who want to keep their customers from buying their DVDs in the US, where they come out earlier and are often cheaper (Hollywood movies)).
    But whoever invented/required this: IMHO it's utter crap. Everybody is talking about globalization, so let us buy our DVDs where we want to!

BTW: Do you have any link/info regarding this "anti-region-code-mouvement"?

7. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Regions get on my nerves, like i want to buy the Clerks DVD which has never been released here in the UK, but noooo its region one.

Thank god the Clerks cartoon is not region restricted or i think i would kill :)

8. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

All your objections are valid.
    Rather than fight the system, a good basic DVD player in the US is less than $50 USD. Will they work on a non-US TV?

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Most have PAL output.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There are several different groups and companies pushing for the elimination of region codes. Just do a search for it on Google. I did so and this is one of the first things it came up with. Looks like Blockbuster is on our side.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=8675

11. lactocrit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great response. I do know that it isn't Apple's fault this load of junk is happening, at the end of the day though, it just defeats the whole purpose of getting a DVD rom for me. What's the use of a DVD rom that can't play movies, the only software that needed one for me was Encarta.
    So I guess it still is true that the hardware lock on the Combo Drive does work (no one seems to have claimed otherwise).

Funny thing is you see all these wonderful ads like the Sony VAIO TR2 or laptop reviews they tell you how the machine's suited to watching a DVD when you're on travelling, on a plane, at an airport or whatever. They forget to mention you're not allowed to buy one when you're on the trip.

(I may have misled you guys though, I'm still a PC guy. About to get a laptop but just torn between a Tablet and a *Book.)

To MacRAND:
    It's great to see you love the place I call home. Wouldn't have imagined reading such praises in a Mac forum.
    Actually for my college (or uni) education, I have no idea what's going to happen. All I know is it'll be in the business field.. probably as broad an answer as you'll get but hey, I'm just a kid.

12. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

If you have already mastered English and another language, consider attending graduate school at Thunderbird in Glendale, AZ, which supplies most of the Fortune 500 international departments with their personnel. Business and Finance are a perfect background. Best of luck.
    Oh, and go for the Apple PowerBook 15" loaded, you'll never regret it or going Mac.

13. Patrickbateman macrumors newbie

Solution

As I had the same problems with my 15 " Powerbook combodrive i discovered a yet simple but good working solution :
    when the pop up tells you that the region code has to be changed to be able to watch the dvd , hide the dvdplayer then start the vlc player www.videolan.org

that way it works at least for me ! but ya have to leave the dvdplayer poen otherwise the dvd will be ejected.

i just found that out hope i not wrong about it and it changes the code without my confirmation.
    anybody else please try this out and verify my "trick". :)