Combo Drive ready for OS X out of the box ??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Montano, May 10, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

I want to upgrade the original CDRW in my G4 533, and at the same time add DVD. So I'm looking for a Combo Drive (CDRW&DVD-ROM) that will work right out of the box. I've seen where some require software modifications to get them to work with OS X. Is there such an animal ??

2. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I checked there, and it seems like all the drives listed need some sort of software mod to get all the apps to work.

4. macrumors 604

iJon

i think you would be surprised at how many work with toast and the finder. i took my old creative 12x drive and my mac saw it right away.

iJon

5. macrumors newbie

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks boris, prices are a little steep, but they will work right out of the box !!

7. macrumors 604

iJon

wow, 80 dollars for a 16x. its not worth it. go buy a 48x lite on drive for less than 50 if you look in the right places.

iJon

8. macrumors 604

iJon

wow, 80 dollars for a 16x. its not worth it. go buy a 48x lite on drive for less than 50 if you look in the right places.

iJon

damn safari, you know what to do mod.

9. macrumors 68040

tazo

ouch! for 80 dollars you can buy a COMBO drive, seriously from LG, 48x24x24 with err i forget on the dvd read speed. but 80 dollars for any cd burner, unless its a future product and is like 64x, you should not pay more than 60 dollars. period.