Combo drive troubles

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Benjamindaines, Nov 24, 2005.

1. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Today I went to burn some pictures to CDs and found that my drive isn't working. Every time I try to burn (and I have tried many times with different discs) I get the error attached. What is going on? How can I fix this? And im a little annoyed that Apple doesn't have any support today (yes it's Thanks Giving but thats only a holiday in the US so they could easily rout the phone calls to international support departments).

--Thanks in Advance.

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What's the machine? Is it the standard drive or one you put in post-purchase? Maybe try resetting the PRAM. :)

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The problems are with my iBook, it's the standard drive and Im about to try reseting the PRAM.

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Assuming the PRAM reset won't work, have you installed an app called Intech Speed Tools? Is there a Folder in your System's Library folder called Extensions with a .KEXT file inside? Also clean the drive with a CD cleaner if possible.

Maybe read Apple's Support Page on burning too. :)

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I've tried reseting the PRAM, looking for the .KEXT file (didn't find anything), and all the stuff on the apple page. None of which worked. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: When I did the PRAM reset it burned one CD and when right back to giving the error message.

6. macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

go into applictions/utility/console/

and look in the logs for the burning drive (you have to click on a triangle to have the menu expand)

That should give you a read out of what this error code actually means...I won't jump to any conclusions yet...but post up what this log says.

7. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it with all apps? Do you get the error with iTunes, Finder and Toast (if applicable)?

8. thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I was getting it in Finder then I tried BurnX Free and it wasn't working for either app. (this is after reseting the PRAM). Then I booted up and burned the one disc that worked in Finder, after that disc I was getting the error message again. I restarted again but instead of trying to use Finder I went straight to BurnX Free (it worked). So now I'm going to try to burn a few discs with BurnX Free and will let you know how it goes.

9. thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

BurnX Free didn't work, so I tried Finder. It burned a few CD-RWs just fine. Is it possible that my drive just doesn't like Sony discs?

10. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very possible that it's the disks. It's a pretty well documented problem of Apple's and no sure fix is available. :)