Combo or superdrive for laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KwilsonCCO, Apr 27, 2004.

1. KwilsonCCO macrumors member

Apr 12, 2004
    I cant decide combo or superdrive for my new laptop

it the superdrive worth the extra money?
    isnt it better suited in a destop?
    does the combo burn cds faster than superdrive?

I cant decide if to just get the cobo and later pick up a g5 for the dvd burner

Maybe after everone runs out to buy the next g5 the current ones will be a steal

please post about you superdrive use
  2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    if you are planning on burning dvds with any frequency, it would be more convenient (though slower) to get the internal. also, it would work perfectly with imovie and whatnot.

OTOH, it will burn regular cds more slowly, and will not be as fast as other external burners. and there's the cost.

really, it all depends on how much you think you will end up using it.
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I BTO'd my laptop with out it, and part of me says that if I had got it, I'd only use it for things that I don't really need. Like, I would have invented reasons to use it just because I had payed for it.
  4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Most people have no use for the Superdrive.. .Heck, most people dont' burn CD's on a daily basis, either. I would evaluate your needs seriously. Its just extra money for a feature that for most will almost never be used (not necessarily your case). Good luck, go with what you need. Save your money, IMHO.
  5. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    first of all..

do you plan on burning cds on the go? cause then maybe getting an extrnal..that you can keep for a long time might work better.

i rarely very rarely burn dvds, i thought i would but theres not a whole lot of need to.
  6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    personally i'd save the money and get the combo drive
    if you need to do DVD's in the future get a FW DVD writer can get them for around 100 now
  7. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    I would say that if you can't think of a good reason to get the superdrive you are probably better off without it. Unless you are going too be in seriour need for DVD burning on the go, an external should be just fine.

BTW, never heard of anyone buying a G5 for the superdrive, but I guess that's a valid reason too! :D

- reaper
  8. hendrix macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2004
    For what it's worth...I just ordered a 15" powerbook today without the Superdrive. I had gone back and forth for the last week on which pbook to get; superdrive or not. I saw that the Lacie external 8X DVD Burner is only $170 with edu discount ($240 regular), and at my university bookstore they had Apple DVD Studio Pro ver. 2 (or whatever it's called) at an edu price of $150. So later I plan to get the external burner and maybe get DVD Studio Pro. By the time I actually would have a need for the Superdrive, external drives will be better anyway.
  9. KwilsonCCO thread starter macrumors member

Apr 12, 2004
    Thanks for all your help and comments

I think id be able to get by with the combo and just use toast to burn a vcd

Anyone have any remarks about using toast with their combo drive?