Combodrive or Superdrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mlw1235, Jul 25, 2006.

1. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

I'm going to be a college student in less than a month!

And I need to buy a computer. I've decided that a MacBook is the perfect choice for me. The only thing left to decide is the combo vs. superdrive.

I would love to be able to burn DVD's, but honestly I don't know how much I would use it.

Anyone else have this quandry? or any advice to give me?

EDIT: Wow. Wrong section of the forum. Mods, please feel free to move this.

2. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Superdrive. No doubt. If you don't get it, you'll regret it. Plus you get the 2.0 chip instead of the 1.83.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Even if you don't plan on burning movies, 4.3GB (unless it's dual layer, then double that) >>>>> 700MB (Are there 800MB CD-Rs? I don't remember)

4. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Just so you don't confuse the original poster, the MacBook doesn't do dual layer burning. Neither does the 15.4" MacBook Pro for that matter.

The 17" is the only model that will burn dual layer discs. But all SuperDrives will read dual layer, of course.

5. TWLreal macrumors 6502

You just have to ask yourself if a SuperDrive and an extra 170 MHz is worth 200$ to you.

To me it was since I see a notebook as a long term investment. I get more work done with it.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Superdrive.

I opted out of a Superdrive when I bought my PowerBook and I am regretting it now. I don't do anything with digital video but I still want it to make backups, particularly of my iPhoto library. The 700Mb limit on CDs is TINY with todays storage capacities and prices.

7. Miguey macrumors 6502

i agree, superdrive is good to have..i decided at the last minute to change the ibook i wanted to the next model, which had a superdrive, and love it...comes in handy for those home movies that you want to duplicate

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Superdrive. Especially if you are creative. When I got my first mac, I thought to myself that I don't have a DVD burner and have never needed one. Since I got my mac, using apps like iMovie and iPhoto I've made DVD's for friends and it's always a pain taking the image and moving it to my computer that does have a DVD burner.

9. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Superdrive. I regretted for not upgrading my iBook's Combo to Super and now I'm stuck burning CDs. Just go for it.

10. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Go with the SuperDrive. I just started using mine for writing DVD movies with iMovie and iDVD (had already been using it for backing up data) and the whole experience is a blast. Well worth the cash since you'll be getting software with it that really allows you to take advantage of what you bought.

11. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I agree with everyone else. Go with the SuperDrive.

12. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i went for superdrive ( i got the black model upgraded) and although i havent burnt any cd's or dvd's yet, its nice to be able to. for instance, i ripped pirates of the caribbean (curse of the black pearl) to my macbook. my step-dad wants to see it, but i dont really want to hand my macbook over to him (i bought this thing myself and am very particular about how it's handled). i'll probably just burn it to dvd for him. super drives are handy.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i vote for Superdrive as well. i will never buy a computer without a DVD burner again

14. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm, personally, I'm leaning to the Combo drive myself for my Macbook purchase. I'd rather get a nice 16x Dual Layer Burner from newegg for under $40, then put it in an nice enclosure for another $40. You have a drive that is miles ahead of the 4x single layer "Superdrive". What it boils down to, IMO, is how often are you going to need to burn DVD's while mobile? If it's just a casual burn, you can hook up to the external at home or where ever easily enough and do the burn. I have used a lappy without a DVDRW for a while now, and have no urgent urge for anything other than an external as I don't plan on burning maybe once or twice a month.

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I totally agree with you about this. If I'm going to burn a DVD, I would most likely be in the "office" and have a desk. At that point, I could hook up the external DVD burner.

However, if we're talking about Macbooks here, if you want the 2.0ghz chip, you're forced to have the Superdrive.

ft

16. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I doubt I've seen it anywhere. The usual ones are 700MB / 80 Minutes.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Europe had a 99 Minute CD-R that was never released statewide.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd say you should get the superdrive. I opted for the superdrive and have used it pretty regularly for backups, large files ect. You won't be sorry with getting the superdrive. But you might regret getting the combodrive later on.

19. mlw1235 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I will be going with the Superdrive.

I don't know how much I will use it, but I will use the extra processing power every time I use the computer. (Even if it is just a little)

And now that I have registered for classes...one of my seminars is about movie making on Macs. Superdrive will be helpful!

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

If it's your only Mac, go for the superdrive. It's always a 'what if', because you never know when you'll find yourself wanting to burn DVDs. I rarely burn them myself, but its always handy to have regardless.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Definitely concur. It's made all the easier by iLife's support for third party burners. (Not so for '05).

B

22. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i'd vote for the superdrive, but mostly because i like to use my current machines to help fund my next purchases (ie: i like to resell and use the money towards newer technology). while the superdrives (in my opinion) are actually pretty crappy burners, and an external will be a much better choice if you're going to be burning many DVDs, the resale value goes up quite a bit if you have a DVD-burner. Plus the extra Ghz doesn't hurt either, for the same reason.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since timely backups are a requirement these days with the lowered reliability HDs flooding the market ...

Superdrive = easy backup

Combo = extreme PIA

Unless you want to buy an external HD solely for backups, which is the easiest.

---

So, I never burn DVDs is the same as saying they never backup their machines.

24. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Actually, I backup my machine, but I never burn DVDs on my laptop, so it's not the same. DVD for backups = not dynamic enough for me - I'd waste a lot of DVDs (and money). I have an external instead.

25. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Extreme PIA for an external? One wire doesn't hurt much. It's all in how you use the machine. Having to use something else for burning a dual layer is more of a PIA. As as data backups increase in size, the single layer DVD burner will be about as exciting as a CDRW in a year or so. Dual layer media will continue to drop making it the best backup method, except for superdrive owners.
    Not a right or wrong choice here, just have to decide whats best individually.