Comcast Cable Internet doubled its DL speed.

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Feb 2, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this has been posted some where else. I just saw an ad for comcast internet and it said, "now twice as fast as before!."

I never got an email or anything in the bill about it, so I thought, oh great one of thoes "new customers only" ****ty deals. But no!

I tested it on DSLreports.com and my connection went from 1.4 Megabits to 3.5!!

I'm very surprised about this. I would think that comacast would rub it in the customer's faces months before they actually switched over.

From my understanding, there is a file in the modem that they can update remotely that limits the upload and download speed. Some people have figured out how to change the file to allow SUPER fast speeds. But comcast can see that you changed it and their internet was canceled in a few days.

Don't use the test on bandwithplace.com. It gave me a 1.9 Mbit connection and totaly wrong speeds. I have found the Speakeasy speed test to be the best and on the fastest connection.

Anyone else on Comcast cable notice the change? :)

2. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Comcast has slowly been upgrading their speeds in different areas since October of last year, I believe. Maybe a bit before that.

We just recently got it here in the Chicago area.

Chicago still seems to have a bit of problem though. Since we're (the last time I checked) the largest customer base for Comcast in the country, our network gets a bit bogged down. So, while at first we were getting 3.4 Mb/sec, now it's more like 2.4 or 2.8 Mb/sec. That's just during peak hours though.

But overall, it's a gigantic improvement over the service we were getting just a couple weeks ago. :)

enoch

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Damn damn damn. I hope they roll it out in Denver soon. My brother can't get more than 26.8 Kbps - I can't wait till I tell I have 3.5 Mbps :p

4. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I can't remember for sure, but it's either already been upgraded in parts of Denver or should be soon.

Go here: Broadband Reports

Just go to the Comcast HSI forums. I remember something be discussed in there recently about the Denver area. Might have to go back a page or two though.

enoch

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i second the chicagoland problems. our service was pretty unreliable this fall, but since december it's been A1. i just did the modem reset, and it is noticable faster (we've got five machines on our LAN here). almost justifies the price ($59.95)

6. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hmmmmm... I just checked and didn't see anything saying that it had been done, but I could be missing it. I hope that's the case; presumably that means mine will be doubled soon! As of now, though, my speed is 1.622 Mbps. Excellent fast, but can't wait for faster.

I just wish they would double the upstream bandwidth too!

7. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I did a search on broadbandreports.com for Denver, and a few people in your area say they've got it.

The ONLY way to get the upgrade is to unplug the power to your modem for 60 seconds (perhaps a bit more to be sure) and then plug it back in. This will cause the modem to grab a new config file from Comcast, hopefully giving you the updated speeds.

What sort of modem do you have?

enoch

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

heh, you guys are just getting 3mbit now :D
    I've been enjoying it with Cox for a few months now :p

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

It's a RCA modem... I'll try the unplugging once my roomy's all finished with whatever it is she does on her little iBook. That would be insanely wonderful to have it!

And counterfeit, I wish to God there was another halfway-decent broadband company in Denver. Until that happens, I'm stuck with Crapcast. Oh well.... :p

10. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Not really our fault you went and spelt your name wrong now is it. :)

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My broadband provider (MediaCom) doulbed our upload and download speed as of Feb 1st. also! 3 down, 256 up! Yipee!

12. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

God knows I need more bang for my buck. I currently at $60 a month for Comcast internet. That's a far cry from the $29 I spent on broadband back in 96. :(
    I just hope they eventually up the upload speed so I can get my home server on the net in a respectable speed. :p :)

13. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

A thousand pardons, chum.