Comcast Home Networking

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by josepht, Sep 12, 2003.

1. josepht macrumors member

josepht

I'm looking at Comcast's Home Networking package, and they say they don't support the Mac OS with this option. Is there any way to network two Macs using Comcast Home Networking, without a PC?

Thanks,

Joseph

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

seems to me you should just get a router and not pay comcast anything for a service you don't need them for. home networking is easy. They just want to uninformed to pay for it. I bet the comcast stuff would work on a mac anyway, since most routers do (even if not officially)

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I've set up a home network using an AirPort base station, and a router, all on Comcast, and I haven't had any problems with OSX. Just do it yourself. No reason to pay someone for something that takes about 10 minutes (if that)

4. josepht thread starter macrumors member

josepht

I'm not thinking about getting it because I think I need some extra, fancy-schmancy service to make a home network. I just like the extra speed I get. Good DSL in my area costs around $49 per month for DHCP and 1.5Mbps/256Kbps. Comcast Home Networking costs $52 per month for 2.5Mbps/256Kbps and a static IP address. Comcast Home Networking, to me, seems like a better choice.

I had a feeling the router they would give me would work if I hooked it up to an AirPort and made my LAN that way. I just don't want to get all off into this project and find out I've wasted my time and money.

Joseph

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Comcast with AirPort and an Asante router, though I would buy LinkSys if I had a chance to go back and do it again. Cut them out f the loop as much as you can. Your network will thank your for it.

Dan

6. josepht thread starter macrumors member

josepht

I intended to do it myself as much as I could. I don't trust anyone's installation technicians.

Joseph

7. doctorhook macrumors member

Comcast works fine with my Airport Extreme base station.

doctorhook

8. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Regular Comcast (1.5MB down - soon to be doubled to 3.0 MB down, 256k up) works fine with 3 Macs and 1 PC hooked to a D-Link DI-604 router plugged into a Linksys Cable Modem.

Oh - and regular Comcast does support OS X.

9. josepht thread starter macrumors member

josepht

When are they going to up the speed from 1.5Mbps to 3.0Mbps? Or did you mean you're upgrading to their Pro package with 3.0Mbps?

I know the regular version of Comcast works with Mac OS X.

Joseph

10. GraphicUmp macrumors member

By the end of the year. The standard version will double. Story

From Reuters, by way of Yahoo, the announcement: HERE